Chapter 6

Kagome's irritation increased throughout the afternoon. The distracted women from the morning were one thing but tittering schoolgirls was another. She hadn't dealt with such immaturity in years. Their incessant giggling was grating on her last nerve.

"Sensei, aren't you going to introduce us to your friend?" Hina asked.

"This is Sesshomaru. You may call him—."

"Lord—."

"Mr. Sato," Kagome spoke over him.

The demon glowered at her but she ignored him. If he insisted on staying, he would play by her rules. He wasn't going to ruin the carefully constructed business she'd built.

"It's nice to meet you, sir," Hina said, extending her hand.

Sesshomaru didn't take it. "I do not wish to waste my time on thinly veiled attempts for approval. My purpose here is my own. You will not interfere."

Hina balked and a few of the girls backed away.

Kagome quickly intervened. "What he means is that he's here to observe your forms as we prepare for the Kyudo Youth Competition."

The girls visibly relaxed.

"Are you one of the judges?" Ren inquired.

"No."

"Sesshomaru has extensive experience in traditional weaponry and fighting tactics. His perspective on your training may differ from my own but his skills are unparalleled. I suggest you take this opportunity to learn as much as you can," Kagome told her class, unaware of how his golden eyes were studying her face.

"Where's Shukun?" Mei asked, glancing around the training room.

"He's back as he— where he belongs," Kagome answered, catching herself.

Mei's face fell slightly. Kagome tried to get her mind off of the dog's absence by starting class. She had the girls begin with a few warm-up exercises as she recited the rules for the competition. The event was held annually in the park, serving as entertainment for the community and a chance for the local archery students to showcase their talent.

For as long as the dojo had been opened, Kagome had encouraged her pupils to participate. It was a good learning experience, forcing them to manage their time as they prepared for the event along with their finals. She expected Hina, Himari, and Akari to perform well. As the oldest and most advanced in the class, Kagome wanted them to succeed. It would boost their confidence as well as inspire the younger students. If they were lucky, they could be scouted for university teams.

"You have grown into your talents," Sesshomaru said from her left.

Kagome glanced up at him. He didn't sound sarcastic. She was surprised to receive a genuine compliment. His approval was unobtainable to all but a few. Jaken struggled for countless years, risking life and limb to earn such a place of honor. Had she been in the imp's shoes, Kagome wouldn't have stuck around.

Wouldn't you? a traitorous voice quipped as a memory of Inuyasha berating her played in her mind's eye. She pursed her lips, willing the thought away.

"Your students admire you," he continued when she didn't reply. "They can learn a great deal, even if your skills are limited."

"Excuse me? What do you mean limited?"

He inclined his head toward where Kagome's tanto knife was tucked in her belt. "You are skilled with a bow. Can you say the same for your blade?"

"I can handle myself," she said defensively.