Chapter 9

Kagome floated on the edge of sleep, happily stuck in the moment between dreaming and being awake. She'd never been as comfortable as this moment. Everything was warm, soft, and completely perfect.

There was no other word to describe the situation she found herself in. Kagome doubted she would ever be as content as this. Snuggling further into her pillow, she clung to the last few precious minutes before her alarm shattered her serenity.

Her fingers curled around her sheets. The fabric was thick and fluffy. Kagome's brow creased. She turned her face. The skin of her cheek glided along smooth silk. Curiosity gave her the final push into a conscious state. When she opened her eyes, Kagome found herself enveloped in Sesshomaru's embrace.

His eyes were closed and his breathing was languid. She watched him, a small smile appearing on her lips. Kagome had never seen him sleep. The menacing glare was gone, replaced by a serene expression which made him look innocent. Her smile widened.

Careful not to wake him, Kagome reached up to move a section of silver hair behind his ear. The color of his markings seemed muted. She wondered if their intensity was driven by his emotions. Gently, she traced each of the stripes with her fingertips.

Kagome followed the upper line toward his ear. Unlike Inuyasha, Sesshomaru's ears more closely resembled human anatomy than a dog's. The distinct difference was the length and pointed design. She trailed the crest of his earlobe before burying her hand in his silver tresses.

There was a subdued sound from the demon lord. Kagome glanced at his face to find him staring at her.

"You may continue," Sesshomaru said.

Kagome shifted to free her right arm so she could repeat the gestures on his opposite side. The demon lord's golden eyes closed. Her ministrations earned Kagome another throaty growl. The low rumbling sounded like a purr.

When she reached his earlobe, Sesshomaru grabbed hold of her wrist. Kagome gasped. "Those are sensitive," he told her.

"Sorry," she mumbled apologetically.

His grip on her loosened but he didn't release her. "Proceed but know if you do, I may not be able to control my reaction."

Kagome turned a brilliant crimson.

Sesshomaru let go of her wrist and rose from the futon. He exited her bedroom, sliding the door shut behind him.

She peered at the indent in her mattress, the only lingering sign that he'd slept beside her. Her skin was flushed, her was mouth dry, and her head was overcome with a dizzying array of scenarios beginning with what might have happened had she not stopped touching him.

Kagome flopped onto her back, staring at the ceiling. They hadn't discussed what had almost transpired between them in the training room. Sesshomaru left her tossing and turning in her bed, trying to figure out how to deal with him. She had fallen asleep before she found the answer.

Waking up to find him in her bed, cuddling her, had been unexpected and confusing. Her physical attraction to him aside, Kagome was getting used to him being around. It was nice to have someone to speak with, someone who valued the same things she did, even if that someone tended to be slightly difficult at times. She pursed her lips.

Kagome knew her relationship with Sesshomaru had grown beyond friendship but she didn't know what happened next. What did she want to happen?

The squawking of her alarm clock interrupted her internal musings. Kagome slammed her palm down on the device but the ringing didn't stop.

Jumping off her bed, she raced into the kitchen where the smoke detector was going off. "Sesshomaru, what—?"

She didn't have a chance to finish vocalizing she question. The sight before Kagome forced her to take immediate action. She shoved Sesshomaru aside, flung open the cabinets, and pulled out a fire extinguisher. The demon lord watched her nonplussed as Kagome doused the flames.