Chapter 9: Meredith

Start from the beginning

"What took you so long? And where is Connie?" Closing my book, I let my smile fall a bit.

"She left her phone in her last class. Plus, you haven't even started yet."

"It's just like you two to show up late to something I care about." Care about? Up until this week of our senior year, she has never mentioned cheerleading. Has she? Have I been so into my own bubble that I never noticed?

"Oh, don't get your panties in a twist. We are here now." Connie said as she took a seat beside me.

"Well, it's about time." Lauren spit out, leaving a bitter taste in the air.

"I could've taken longer. Do you want me to go again but stop every 5 seconds?"

"Guys, relax. we are here to support you, Lauren." She smiled at me.

"You're right. Wish me luck, girlys!" And just like that, she skipped over to the girls to start warming up. Shaking her head; Connie turns to me.

"Sometimes that girl is something else." We both let out a small laugh when Stacie and the other girl from the hallway walked in. Stacie cleared her throat. I felt her dissecting me with her eyes as if she stared long enough I would vanish into thin air.

"I don't think there's a place on the team for... um.. you two." Connie gave a head nod.

"Don't worry, we don't want to be on it anyway. Just here for support. " Stacie frowned and marched over to the girls. She wasn't even by the first girl when she started barking orders. Oh, this is going to take a bit.

********************

"That took forever!" Connie groaned as we walked to my car in the parking lot. I nodded and stared down at my feet, hoping that with the magic power of my eyes, I would get them to move faster.

"Do you think Lauren was really okay with us leaving?" I asked, pressing the button on my keys to unlock my car as Connie pulled open the door of her car and threw her bag in.

"Yeah, it's 7:30, and I'm hungry. Plus, it's too late now to turn back." She had a point; the doors to the school are locked now.

"You know she is going to flip if she doesn't get on the squad." I set my bag in the backseat of my car and opened my front door.

"She will be fine. I gotta go, Mama is really hungry. I'll text you later." She gave a wave as she got in her car sped out of the lot. Oh, how I love that girl. I turned to get into my car when a hand wrapped around my arm turned me around.

"Hey! Let me go!" I pushed the person back, trying to get away when a chuckle came out. I looked up to see Carter looking down at me.

"There's my Bug. Where did you disappear to earlier?"

"I was at cheerleading tryouts." He frowned and lifted an eyebrow.

"You were at cheerleading tryouts?"

"Oh well, yes and no." He laughed, and a smile painted his face.

"What does that even mean?" Oh my goodness, I'm making a fool out of myself again. He probably thinks I'm crazy.

"I was there to support my friend, who was trying out." He pushed a piece of hair out of my face.

"That's better. You don't look like the cheerleader type."

"Well, I guess that makes two of us." He laughed.

"Where are you heading off to?"

"Umm.. home. Why?" He looked around and held out his hand.

"Give me your phone." Without so much of a single thought, I handed my phone over and watched intently as he typed away. He handed it back as I stared at it like I've never seen a phone before.

"I put my number in it and texted myself, so I had yours." I nodded. Wait? What! Carter Hayes has my number! I have Carter Hayes' number!

"Oh... okay." There that laugh again.

"I'll text you the address to the party tonight. You can bring your cheer friends too."

"Party? Oh no, that's really not my thing." He leaned in closer, and I could feel his lips brush against my ear. In a cool voice just above a whisper.

"And what is your thing, Bug?' I sucked in a breath, unable to process the tingling that was running through my body.

"Well.. I ...I.."

"Yo, Carter! See you at the party!" A deep voice yelled across the parking lot.

"I'll text you the address, Bug." It wasn't until I watched him shut my door that I realized he put me in my car and buckled me in. Oh, Carter Hayes, you are something beyond words.