0:60

A Winter Wonderland Wedding

The soft, shimmering snowflakes danced gracefully in the crisp winter air as the enchanting hour of four o'clock post meridiem struck against the clock

The soft, shimmering snowflakes danced gracefully in the crisp winter air as the enchanting hour of four o'clock post meridiem struck against the clock. She watched from the window of the tall building that she was in, a wing away from Hendrichs and his groomsmen who were also getting ready for the ceremony.

For the first time in her life, hair had been installed on her head and styled into an elegant shiny low bun with a deep side part including a crystal embedded statement piece that accentuated her look. She'd allowed the make-up artist to apply a natural yet stormy look to her face –which she had initially been skeptical about, but absolutely loved once she examined herself in the mirror.

"Nervous?" Her mother's voice penetrated her line of thought, but she did not need to look back to see that Sharon was standing a step behind her, already dressed in her beige pleated, metallic off shoulder A-line dress.

Shanae slightly nodded, her stomach tight because reality was finally settling. She was about to make a covenant before God, family, and friends – that she would choose Hendrichs always, that they were about to become one, and they would remain together in good times and bad. She'd seen the reality in marriages, but then she'd also seen the good side of marriage – and she only hoped that marriage would treat her just as good, if not better.

"It's marriage." She barely whispered, "It's not a relationship where you can quit. It's a commitment."

Her mother placed her hand on her shoulder. "It's simply you waking up each day and choosing him, and going into that marriage with a good communication system, with zero expectations, but goals you both can work towards together. It's dying to self, to serve your husband – and the same applies to him. It's not a title, it's not a paper – it's a decision you make today, and a commitment to fight for your love."

"Sounds kinda hard." She scoffed, and her mother lightly laughed.

"It is hard, but it becomes easier when you're both putting your right foot forward. Don't be nervous, everything will be okay." She lightly kissed Shanae's cheek, before hugging her from the back. Shanae placed her glittered, white manicured hand above her mother and closed her eyes, before letting out a breath.

"You think we're going to be okay?" She asked her mother, trying to ease the anxiety that crawled deep within her soul.

"I know so. When Hendrichs flew to Boston to ask us for your hand in marriage, your father and I prayed about it – it wasn't just our decision, because God gave us peace about it. That's your person, baby girl, have no doubts about that." She squeezed Shanae, before letting her go.

She turned away from the window to face her mother. She was still dressed in her white mink dressing gown, house slippers keeping her feet warm. "I know he's my person. I guess these are just pre-wedding jitters."