Chapter 1 | A Heart Left in Pieces

His POV

His POV

As I walked along the roadside, a familiar face caught my attention. My heart skipped a beat when I realized it was you—the one who shattered my world three years ago. Memories flooded my mind, each painful recollection punctuating the emptiness in my chest.

You were the girl who changed everything for me. I, Jungkook Jeon, born into privilege, had always followed the path paved by his wealthy family. But our encounter at college brought color into my monochrome life. Love blossomed, enveloping us with dreams of a future together, like two stars destined to collide.

But destiny had different plans, and my family, blinded by societal expectations, vehemently rejected our union merely because you were an orphan. Undeterred, I made a decision that would shape my existence.

Leaving behind the comfort and security of my opulent home, I chose to live a life of authenticity with the love of my life. Together, we crafted a world where our love reigned supreme. The days turned into nights, and our dreams whispered promises of a shared future.

Determined, we embarked on a life together, braving the storms that lay ahead. Our love was a sanctuary, shielding us from the world's judgment. Yet, that sanctuary would crumble, leaving nothing but broken promises and shattered dreams in its wake.

The day we had longed for finally arrived; the day we were to be joined in a marriage. Eagerly awaiting your arrival, I stood among my closest friends, my heart fluttering with excitement and anticipation. But as the minutes crept by, hope began to wither, and my eyes filled with disbelief, fear, and a cascade of unshed tears. You never came.

An entire hour passed, each agonizing second further fracturing my world. As I stood there, an abandoned soul on the crossroads of heartache and betrayal, I withdrew my phone, trembling fingers finding solace in the familiarity of its cold touch. Gathering the courage to face the inevitable, I unlocked the screen, only to be confronted by a heart-rending message that dashed any lingering hope.

The words, etched in digital ink on the glowing screen, pierced my wounded heart like a thousand shards of glass. "I am going to England. I have been presented with a life-changing opportunity. I'm sorry, I can't marry you, and I won't ask you to wait for me. I can't promise I will be waiting for you either. So, please don't wait."

Each syllable pierced through my chest, puncturing the last vestiges of hope. Speechless and paralyzed, I became a statue, silent screams trapped within me. The pain intensifying with every passing moment, threatening to drown me in its suffocating grip. I didn't know how to breathe without you.

In that moment, the world shattered around me. Thoughts of death flirted with my mind, but somehow, I found the strength to endure. Steeling myself against the tidal wave of grief threatening to engulf me, I stumbled back on the broken road, my trembling steps carrying me back to my now-empty palace of dreams.

With a heavy heart, I slowly made my way back to the house I had abandoned. Resigned to my fate, I joined the family business, determined to convert my heartache into something tangible, something that would distract me from the void left in your wake. Day after day, I threw myself into work, transforming the company into a colossus of success.

News of my achievements spread like wildfire, earning me acclaim and admiration. My family celebrated my triumphs, their cheers bouncing off the walls of our opulent mansion. But amidst the applause and accolades, I felt nothing. It was as if a part of me, the most vital part, had been snuffed out. Maybe I had no heart left, or perhaps it was merely encased in an impenetrable fortress, shielding me from the world.

Life moved on, but the scar you left continued to ache relentlessly. Empty nights were filled with tears and haunting memories of our stolen moments. In the darkness, loneliness clung to me like a second skin. There were a million words I wanted to say, questions I needed answers to, but they remained buried beneath layers of unspoken agony.

Unbeknownst to me, you had become an ethereal wisp of a memory, haunting my existence. Jungkook, the successful businessman, stared back at me in the mirror each day, an empty vessel devoid of emotion. And so, the days stretched into years, but the wound you inflicted refused to heal.

Little did I know that the tides of fate would soon bring you back into my life, crashing through the fortress I had built around my soul. The flame of our past would be rekindled, igniting a battle between love and pain, commitment and fear. For in your return lay both hope and trepidation, a chance at redemption or another chapter of heartbreak.

TO BE CONTINUED...

That is it for the first chapter, Starlights. Hope y'all liked it. Tell your thoughts about this chapter and the next chapter in the comments.

See y'all soon!
Stay safe or else I might kill or haunt y'all 👻
Love you ❤️