Chapter Four Tactics

September 26, 2015, 8:02 pm, Violet's POV

    In the short time I made the plan and completed it, I did not have expectations, not exactly, but I still vaguely had things I did not expect.

   'I picked you,' My voice echoes in my brain. Victor had put his phone in his pocket and then walked toward me with fast purposeful strides. I had stepped back, not knowing what to expect, but he still grabbed, lifted, walked me over, dropped me on Camile's lap, and strode out of the room. I blink at his back as my brain struggles to keep up. Then a tiny unexpected part of myself suddenly becomes hurt.

    "He didn't want me," I say in a small voice, and Leonard stops his angry tirade at Itzal to turn around and look at me, then starts laughing. And Itzal and Camile echo him, but it somehow isn't mocking. It is very amused.

    "No, Cindy." Camile disagrees, then breaks off a piece of his pastry and holds it up to my mouth to try. I bite it and draw it into my mouth as Itzal amusedly fills in the blank.

    "All of us have a way of performing the Nighttime Ritual, one that will expand as time goes on, and though Victor values himself on being prepared. He did not prepare anything in preparation for you picking him." Itzal says, and he and Camile chuckle again. I hear the silent words he doesn't say, 'Because it was not supposed to happen.'

    "He is up there trying to put something together," Leonard grumbles, and I nod, enjoying the flaky pastry's taste while watching Camile take another bite. I must look pleading because he looks at me and shakes his head. 'No more bites, I guess.'

    "Is he coming back for me, or do I go to him?" I question and then finally look at Itzal. 'His face isn't mad, nor amused like Camile... he looks thoughtful like I've done something completely unexpected. And I did. I didn't know I was going to pick Victor until I did. No way he could have predicted it.

    "He will return," Itzal says, looking at me in a new way, and I nervously adjust my shorts and look back at Camile, who seems to be having a silent conversation with Itzal. 'For enemies, they know each other better than most friends.'

    "You should have picked Itzal." Leonard grumbles, and I blink at him, 'him saying that is shocking, but apparently only to me.' I don't reply, not wanting to show my hand, but Camile just huffs in amusement.

    "She picked well." Camile disagrees, and Itzal and Leonard glare daggers at him. 'I can't get a good read on Camile. I am unsure if he believes I picked well because I am about to learn the error of my ways or because he is thrilled I didn't pick Leonard or Itzal. Either way, he doesn't seem to have put himself in the running, as if he knew I wouldn't pick him.' I listen as Leonard and Itzal argue with a silent Camile as I nervously try to reshape my nails with my thumbnail.

    "Here he comes." Leonard snaps at something Itzal says, and I look at the open living room door hearing footsteps on the stairs. Camile lifts me with one arm and settles my feet on the ground just as Victor returns to the room.

    "Come," Victor says and glares at the jeers and taunts Leonard hurls at his ineptness at being prepared. I ignore them and walk up to him nervously. Then I turn to face the room.

    "Um, goodnight," I say, and Leonard forces a smile at me. Camile nods, and Itzal is the only one who repeats it. I follow behind Victor as we walk up the stairs, and once we reach, I turn toward my bedroom, but Victor grabs my hand and turns me toward the left hall door. 'Are we going to his Wing?'

    We walk down the hallway and right up to his door. He lets my hand go and enters his card. So, I look around the hallway to ensure he doesn't believe I'm trying to steal his pin. 'The house is many layers of blue, and I can't figure out if that was Father's work or the Heirs'. But this hallway is painted white, the only contrast being the hardwood floor. Victor's door beeps, and then it opens, and my eyes take a moment to adjust.