I N T E R L U D E

Începe de la început

It was one thing to get your crush to notice you but it was an entirely different thing to get her to cheer for you in front of all the class, in the cringiest manner possible at that.

Jungkook muffled a silly smile, trying hard not to let it get to his brain, but there was only so much he could do to control his delight. He didn't dare look up at the bleachers and lose focus; instead, he took the distraction to his advantage. Thanks to Ahn Heiran's rather creative supportive screams, the players on both teams were getting distracted. 

Good going, girl. You're the best, he thought to himself. Not letting the opportunity pass up, he ran next to the three-point line and made his shot. 

For a heart-stopping moment, the ball circled the top of the hoop, and then it went through. Taehyung screamed in approval from somewhere in the court. He didn't receive the fanfare he expected; the audience was all too captivated by the dramatic performance going on on the bleachers, it seemed.

"OH MY GOSH OPPA! I WILL SUE YOU! HOW CAN YOU BE SO DANGEROUS?! I'M DYING OF A HEAT STROKE! FROM YOUR HOTNESS!"

"Don't look, JK, don't look, don't look." Jungkook chanted under his breath, trying to control the urge to stop and watch. They were down to one minute. Two more points and he would win this game. The opponent team's turn came, and the ball missed the hoop. Jungkook had to give it to her, Ahn Heiran had a natural flair to attract attention without even trying. Thanks to her, it seemed he had a good shot at bagging this game. Jungkook grabbed the ball and tried to get close to the basket. To his annoyance, the opponent team's player wasn't letting him anywhere near their hoop and the morons in his team were also becoming too distracted for him to pass the ball. Desperately, he searched for Taehyung but for all that talk, the guy was too preoccupied by the theatrics on the bleachers to pay attention. The time was ticking down to mere seconds and Jungkook was nowhere near the hoop to make a secure throw. Seeing as his options were limited, he decided to take the risk and make the throw from his position at the center line of the court. 

The ball left his hands. The world stopped spinning. The fate of the P.E game was now in the hands of god. Vaguely he could hear the show still going on on the bleachers. 

"Oh, mi god! Nora, something just kicked inside my stomach!"

"Told you not inhale all that tteokbokki for lunch—"

"No! It's a baby." 

And the ball went in clean through the basket. The whistle blew announcing the timer had run out. His teammates roared with joy as they emerged victorious at the intense game. Before Jungkook could even let that successful half-court shot sink in, he was lifted up into the air. Cheers rose from all around. Taehyung slapped his back in happiness almost breaking a spine. He finally let out a  laugh of joy. He had done it. He'd saved the game and his reputation. Briefly, he caught sight of his unexpected savior watching in horror at the celebration of his triumph. It seemed as if his crush wasn't too impressed by his triumph. Just for the fun of it, Jungkook pointed both his fingers straight at her. When her eyes widened, he shot her a glorious wink sending her cheeks aflame in rage. 

"My number one fan! Love you too!"

"EWW!"

* * *

All week Jungkook had been eager for an opportunity to answer Ahn Heiran's declaration of war. But if fate doesn't give you a chance, you make it. It took a great deal of work. He had to know what her class schedule was, have an idea of which routes she took, plan a point of contact, and convince his suspicious friends that he was taking the long route to the cafeteria, passing through the building of the lowerclassmen merely for a change of scenery.