I N T E R L U D E

Start from the beginning

Taehyung taunted as he took his hand. "Is that the one you want?"

Jungkook's grin widened as his eyes followed her path down the school stairs.

"Yeah. That's exactly the one I want."

Seokjin groaned exasperatedly. Taehyung dragged his hands over his face. 

"But did you guys hear what she said?" he happily asked his friends. Before neither of them could reply, he answered himself. "She called my face pretty."

"Oh, my god! Someone smack that idiot-"

"JK. No."

* * *

"God, Tae, what am I going to do? She's here."

Taehyung wrinkled his face, "So? Just play the game like you've always played."

Jungkook grabbed Taehyung's shoulders, shaking some sense into him. "But what if I mess up? What if I lose the game? What if I make a bad impression on her?"

"Then you better not!" He hissed, his eyes severe. "You're the best basketball player in this school, so go and do your thing. We need to score three more points. If you go out there and ruin the game and my reputation in front of the lower classmen because you were busy making googly eyes at your stupid crush, I will hang you alive."

"Way to relieve the pressure, mate," Jungkook grumbled, dribbling the ball in between his legs. When Taehyung's attention turned to the court, he discreetly looked up at the bleachers despite his warnings. He wasn't expecting anything but to his amusement, Ahn Heiran's contemptuous eyes were on him, watching him run across the court to take position. Maybe his trick was working a little too well. Her death stares now followed him wherever he went. Not that he was complaining. 

Raising his arm, he sent her a jolly wave. The group of girls who sat just below on the bleachers erupted into a fit of giggles. The recipient of his greeting seemed to think his wave was meant for the girl below. She made a puking gesture behind them, making her best friend burst out into a laugh.

Soon enough the cheers began as the whistle went off.  The game resumed and Jungkook tried his best not to panic too much. Some high-pitched feminine voices joined in on the cheer, calling out his jersey number in high volumes.

"NO. 96! Hwaiting!"

Taehyung jogged closer to him, "Hear that? Dayong's placed her bets on you. That means everyone's counting on you."

"Who's Dayong?"

His momentary distraction was enough leeway for the opposite team to snatch the ball. He cursed under his breath. Taehyung called out death threats from somewhere on the court, running off to defend the team. Jungkook took a look at the timer. These last few minutes were crucial. If he couldn't make the shot on this casual P.E. game, he might as well kiss goodbye to his title as the Star Player of FSoPA. The midday sun's shine was harsh. Sweat dripped down profusely from the sides of his cheeks as he ran to fend for his team. Another curse left his lips as the opponent team scored a point. The game was going all wrong. At this rate, he might just lose all the reputation he had built up for the past three years. Taehyung's deadly warnings didn't make it any better either. 

It was just as he managed to grab the ball that he heard an unexpected voice hollering for him at the top of her lungs, trying to one-up the girls' chants. 

"OPPA, HWAITING~ SA-RANG-HAE-YO NINE-TY SIX!"

Jungkook froze in shock for a brief moment, wondering if the voice was indeed who he thought it was. Too afraid to check for himself, he looked towards Taehyung to confirm the identity of the person who had bellowed out the most cringe-inducing encouragement he had ever heard in his lifetime. Taehyung had his eyes up on the bleachers, biting his lips down in an attempt to control his laugh. When he eventually caught Jungkook's eye, he blinked with a grin confirming his suspicions.