74

The sterile white walls of my hospital room have become almost blinding, and the rhythmic beeping of machines serves as a constant reminder of the life I've been temporarily bound to. My days blur together, punctuated only by the visits from my friends and the occasional nurse check-ins. Everyone has been by to visit multiple times, Blake the most, but still, I hate being stuck here.

I never thought I'd complain about people doing everything for me. It's nice to have meals brought to me and to have my pillows fluffed, but I would do anything to be able to dress myself, bathe myself, or even get up off the toilet myself. My leg will take at least another month to heal, so I can't even begin physical therapy for it yet to see how well I can walk.

On the upside, though, my arm is only in a brace now, not a cast. I still have to be careful with my movements, but every minor improvement feels like a massive win. But I've been so bored, so bored that I've begun to count how many holes are in the ceiling and each flower design on my hospital gown.

Blake and everyone else are here often enough to keep me entertained, but even just a few hours to myself are enough to make me feel incredibly antsy like I do right now.

Blake left early this morning, apparently to go get something for me. I've given up on trying to get him to tell me whatever surprise he has planned because he never gives in, he just loves them too much. 

When I'm on the 515th hole in the ceiling, my door creaks open, and a smile tugs at my lips as I see Blake walking in. His presence is a comfort, a reminder that there's a world beyond these white walls waiting for me once I am healed.

I immediately notice he's holding three things in his hands: a duffle bag, and beautifully wrapped box, and a massive bouquet of flowers. 

"Happy Valentine's Day Sunshine," Blake says softly as he sits down at the edge of my bed, placing the gift down on my nightstand. 

My eyes widen. "Oh my god, I totally forgot it was Valentine's Day! To be honest, all the days here are starting to feel the same..." I murmur. "But thank you."

With a playful grin, he nods towards the box. "Open it."

Gently, I tear away the wrapping paper to reveal a sleek box nestled within, even the cardboard somehow feels expensive. My brows knit in confusion, my eyes lifting to meet his. "A camera?"

Blake's smile widens. "I know it seems kinda random, but I thought it might be something to help take your mind off being stuck in here. You're always talking about how beautiful the flowers and trees outside the hospital are, so I figured this might be a way for you to capture those things and to keep you busy."

My heart swells with emotion, and I'm momentarily speechless. Blake can turn a seemingly random gift into the most thoughtful one. "Thank you, I really love it," I finally manage, my voice a mixture of awe and gratitude as I look down at the box, knowing it probably cost thousands of dollars. It also came with multiple lenses, a tripod, and mini accessories. 

Blake places his hand on my thigh, giving it a little squeeze. "I just want to see you smile baby, you've seemed so down recently. I know you're trying to put on your best front, but I can tell it's all starting to get to you."

I nod and look down at the camera as I take it out of the box, my fingers tracing its smooth and expensive feeling surface. "I feel bad now," I admit, my gaze lifting to meet his again. "I didn't get you anything."

He chuckles softly, leaning closer. "Just being able to sit next to you is the best gift I could ask for. Besides, I'm pretty sure you're kinda broke."

A genuine laugh escapes my lips, and I'm reminded of just how lucky I am that he's mine. "You're right, but that's why I have you."