61

*Blake*

I stand in my entryway completely frozen, my heart pounding in my chest as I tear my gaze away from a shocked-looking Elena and bring it to the man who once called himself my father.

Shockwaves ripple through my body, a potent mixture of disbelief and raw pain crashing over me like a drowning wave. It has been five long, agonizing years since I last laid eyes on him– since the last fragments of our relationship shattered irreparably.

Seeing him now, standing before me uninvited, is an agonizing reminder of the past I've fought so hard to keep hidden. Memories flood my mind, each one feeling like a sharp knife slowly cutting open old wounds.

The car accident, the loss of my sister, and the following events regarding my mother blaze through my thoughts like an explosion of fury. All I can remember is the months of abuse and the blame he mercilessly placed on my shoulders, convincing me that I was solely responsible for all the tragedies that forever ripped our family apart. 

The three of us stand here in continued silence as his eyes, hauntingly similar to my own, stare back at me. Behind them is a subtle abyss of bitterness mingled with potential hope, making it hard for me to distinguish what he is feeling right now. 

I take a deep breath and walk toward Elena and my father, carefully stepping over the glass I accidentally dropped when I saw him. As much as I despise him, I refuse to let him have power over me anymore. I will not allow him to overshadow the life I've built and the strength I've discovered within myself.

In a voice mixed with disbelief and disgust, I finally speak. "What are you doing here?"

He looks much more put together compared to the last time I saw him– the dark pigments in his skin from drinking whiskey for his breakfast, lunch, and dinner are gone, his gray stubble beard is cleanly shaved, his hair is gelled nicely into a formal style, and his clothes are expensive looking and wrinkle-free.

"I have been trying to get into contact with you, but you haven't responded to any of my texts or calls," he tells me, the sound of his voice enough to make my hands shake in both anxiety and anger. 

To my surprise, Elena steps forward around my body, a look of determination spread across her features. 

"If Blake wasn't answering you, then he obviously didn't want to hear from you. What gives you the right to show up here uninvited? Leave," she snaps, and I can tell she is doing her best to keep her composure.

My father scoffs at her. "I don't know who you think you are, but this is between me and my son. Stay out of it."

"Don't you dare talk to her like that," I growl, pulling her back behind me.

To my dismay, my father invites himself in and steps into our house, and we both stand there in disbelief as he silently takes in the surroundings.

Elena whispers in my ear. "What the fuck is going on?"

"I don't know," I whisper back, this entire situation making me feel physically ill.

My father turns to us, a small smile on his lips. "I didn't quite catch your name, Elena, is it? That's what I've seen in the media anyway... but I would appreciate it if you could go home now so I can talk to my son in private."

"This is her home," I spit, clenching my teeth so hard they might shatter. "And who the fuck do you think you are telling her to leave?"

My father shakes his head, sighing as he crosses his arms over his chest. "Drew, please don't speak to me like that. All I want to do is talk in private."