9. SILENCE

The words still ringed in her ear, even as her husband lifted her up and spun her around.

He had gotten a child.

PHEW!

A wide smile adorned Jyoti's face, as she laughed along with Shehenshah's happiness and amusement to the news. He had become a father atlast, something he had been wishing for quite a while.

" Shehenshah I am so happy for you!" Jyoti exclaimed once Shehenshah came back to his senses and put her down. " In just a few months you'll have tiny souls called you Baapusa!"

Shehenshah was still breathing heavily and erratically, her mind trying to grasp the news. " And you will become their Chhoti ammi too" he smiled, caressing Jyoti.

Hearing his words, Jyoti's smile dropped a bit. She hadn't taken into account that she would be becoming an elder too.

" Begum..?" Shehenshah asked as he saw the sudden change in her mood. " Ah... I am sorry... But Begum Ruqaiya, she's... She's my first-"

" No no Shehenshah... I have no problems" Jyoti waved her hands in front of him, " I told you that day didn't I? I don't have any qualms with sharing a haram with all your other wives"

Shehenshah looked at her, still trying to understand what was going through her head whenever she would say such things. Didn't she feel jealous at all? Didn't she want him all by herself?

Even with the freedom she was bestowing upon him, he felt a bit dejected, that her love didn't quite contain the possessiveness that he did for her.

" I am such a hypocrite -" he chuckled as if to depreciate himself.

" Shehenshah?" It was now Jyoti who was confused at his words.

" It is me who possesses the haram and its women, but I feel sad that you are not possesive about me at all" Shehenshah stated his mind, probably for the first time. He didn't mind being truthful, but barely anyone knew what dwelled in his heart, until this moment.

Jyoti smiled, a slow blush creeping on her cheeks as she felt her husband's hand caressing her cheeks.

" I don't like to measure and compare the love someone has for me" she muttered, taking Shehenshah's hands into hers, " but it isn't true that I won't get jealous ever. Its just that, till now you've shown me enough love Shehenshah. And I also know the responsibilities you bear. I cannot bring myself to impose my naive wants and needs on someone like you"

Shehenshah's eyes softened, as he took the scroll back from Jyoti's hands and kissed the back of her palm, relishing the feeling of her soft skin against his lips.

" I was supposed to give you a wedding present...but it seems like its you who is surprising me every second we spend together"

Jyoti, who was already taken aback from the kiss in the middle of their camp, with dozens of eyes glued to their antics, had already turned beetroot red. Just as she felt her heartbeat rising to an unhealthy rhythm, a slight cough was heard from behind.

" Shehenshah, our caravan is ready" Adham and Jaswant were standing at a distance, trying not to show their embarrassment to the newly-weds.

" Ok, we'll go-"

" Shehenshah shouldn't you leave with your horse?"

The sudden question made the three men whip their heads at Jyoti, who stood there with innocence in her eyes.

" What do you mean Begum?"

" If you go with the caravan, it would still take three days wouldn't it? I am sure Ruqaiya Begum sent you this message so that you reach Agra faster. She needs you right now"