5. MAHAM

Her eyes were everywhere, especially if it meant for the Sultanate and its Shehanshah. And the news that the emperor suddenly started smiling for a Rajput princess didn't take much time to reach her. But it still wasn't the biggest concern currently clouding her mind.

Ruqaiya was pregnant. And she was the hungriest of them all for the throne next to Jalal. 

" Wazir-e-ala, what should we do now?" Resham, Maham Anga's eunuch fidgeted in her spot.

Maham sat still, rolling a dice in her hand. 

" Wazir-e-ala! Are you listening to me?"

" Who else is here Resham?" Maham stared back at her, her eyes as still as ever. Being a chief minister in Jalal's court meant steeling oneself to adversities, and no one had done that better than Maham Anga herself.

" Are you not concerned then? Begum Ruqaiya is already getting ready to sink in her teeth into your business the moment she gives birth to Shehanshah's child"

"Begum Ruqaiya is not to be played with mindlessly, Resham" Maham Anga stated, " we need to tread lightly and quickly"

" Shehanshah would be bringing his new begum soon, we should do something before he arrives-"

" Resham, shut your mouth" Maham Anga ordered, " I need peace. Leave"

Resham zipped her mouth instantly, bowed and left the chambers for Maham Anga to decipher her next move. The haram was already in Ruqaiya's power, and for her to become the Malika-uz-zamani would mean worse for Maham, as the latter had no way to increase her status. 

The only way was to obstruct Ruqaiya's path, and introduce a puppet in Jalal's life. 

Princess Jyoti, as Maham had heard, was supposed to be childish and impressionable, everything that a good puppet is built with. And she needed to make sure that her new plaything to distract Jalal, to destroy Ruqaiya's plan and to forward her own position was good enough to be taken under her wing.

" RESHAM!" she called after an hour of debating her actions, listing out every possible path she could take. 

" Yes, Wazir-e-ala" Resham rushed into the chamber and bowed.

" Prepare for departure at dawn"

" To where?"

" To finally meet my new toy"

---

" Stop crying Bhaisa" Jyoti cried herself, as tears pooled and flowed from her eyes, staining her face. Her nose and cheeks were reddened, and her hands were clasped between her Bhaisa's, which were reluctant to let go of them. " I will be fine".

" I know" Jagdish softly brushed away the hair that had loosened from her braids, and wiped the tears that didn't stop either way. " but its still difficult"

" Jaswant will be with me, don't worry. Plus I will write to you every day... maybe not everyday, but every month for sure"

" Every week" her mother demanded, " and don't forget to eat healthy. Don't wander off without taking permission first, and obey the Shehanshah okay? But if there's any problem, never hesitate to inform us"

" Our gates are always open for you" Her father stated, his eyes moist with tears just like the others, " remember, this is your home. Your first home. No one can take it away from you"

" I know Baba, I will never forget it" She bent down, taking the blessings of her parents as well as her brothers, Jaswant following after her as he was too leaving for Delhi. No one knew when he would be back, or if he would return ever. Jyoti was his lifeline, both growing up like the same soul in different bodies, sharing everything since the womb. And everyone knew, the only time he would ever leave her, was when she would breathe his last.

Jalal observed from a comfortable distance, the tears making him feel regretful of separating a daughter from her family. He wondered, if Jyoti would be as lively and happy with him as she is with her family, and the thought of seeing her smile fade haunted him for a second.

But Jyoti, unknowingly always, cleared any doubt in his heart.

As she turned her back from her family, and stepped forward towards Jalal, a smile adorned her face, indicating that she was happy with him. That she, even with a heavy heart for leaving her family, did not regret her decision of loving him. 

As their gaze met, Jyoti quickly lowered her eyes, the veil covering her face entirely as she walked up to the palki. Her previous actions of stupidly not recognizing the Shehanshah and wearing his shoes during the wedding didn't cause her any kind of embarrassment, but now it was a bit different. Now, it wasn't just a man with whom she had had a conversation at night near the fountain, or someone on whom she had pulled a silly prank during a serious occasion. It was now her husband who stood in front of her, someone who she was supposed to be in love with. Someone who was supposed to love her. 

She had heard stories, had seen her brothers flirt and romance their wives from time to time, but never had she thought that she would need to take such matters into her own hands, ever. 

"Why do I feel conscious under his gaze?" she thought, as she looked at his outstretched hand, waiting for her to help her into the palki, " why am I hesitating to look towards him?" she debated as she took his hand softly, and entered the palki, still not daring to look towards him.

" By the way" Jyoti almost shrieked at the sudden voice, and whipped her head towards it out of reflex. " I am sorry for tricking you, begum Noor" Jalal's tone was calm and serious, his one hand resting on the top of the palki while the other still holding her hand. He bent down to look inside the palki where Jyoti sat, his body leaning in a bit, obscuring the opening to not let people see that he was talking to her.

Jyoti's breath hitched, as the name ringed in her mind. Noor, he had called her.

Her mouth went dry, as for the first time she didn't have a reply in mind. 

" I hope you can forgive me soon" he said, looking at her through the flimsy veil.

Jyoti opened and closed her mouth, knowing well that Jalal was waiting for her response. And seeing that she was struggling to come up with anything, a slight frown fell on his face. However, as he pushed himself up to leave, a slight tug stopped him.

" I... I accept that name" Jyoti whispered, as she didn't want anyone to hear her but Jalal. " Sorry for not having thought of a name for you, yet, Shehanshah"

A smirk soon replaced the frown on Jalal's face, as he turned around and held Jyoti's hand softly into his, placing a soft kiss unabashedly in front of everyone. His smile grew even wider as he heard Jyoti gasp at the sudden action and retract her hand quickly,  pulling the curtains close in her palki to avoid any further contact. 

Controlling his laughter at Jyoti's actions, he turned around, steeling his expressions into a more befitting one for a Shehanshah, as he bid his last goodbyes to his new in-laws.

Mounting on top of his horse, with Jaswant on his side as a new member of his court, he rode in front of the whole procession, as slowly his mind readjusted to the realities of his empire. In two days he would return to his throne, to his fort where the responsibilities will shackle him yet again. In two days, he would have to return to his own self, his real self, the one that didn't have a beating heart.

" Just let me breathe for these two days" he looked up to the heavens, hoping that his prayer would be heard, " just let me be with my Noor"

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

Hello Readers!

It should be clear by now that I suck at writing, especially romance. But to be honest, in my mind its a bit more heartwarming lol. Anyways, this is purely based on the Jodha Akbar serial and as you know the Ruqaiya pregnancy will have some drama. So anyways, I am not going to explain the plot much as its a novella just for Jyoti/Noor, but if something is confusing, do ask.