7. TUG

Jyoti stood still, goosebumps rising on her skin because of the cool nighttime breeze, as well as the contorting expression of her husband upon hearing her words. 

She knew, her words were unconventional. To ask her husband, who she so wholeheartedly accepted, to not touch her was confusing. She had been waiting for him, but Jaswant's words did hold the truth that Jyoti was actively avoiding. 

She saw Shehenshah's eyes bore into hers upon hearing the punishment, his expression turning into that of puzzlement about the sudden plea. 

Holding his pause for a few moments, as Jyoti fidgeted with her fingers, he said,

" I am not sure Noor Begum why you suddenly stated such a thing" he said, almost whispered while interlacing his fingers with her, bringing her hand closer to his face, " but just remember, you have all the rights of a Begum, the right to refuse me too. You don't have to hide your concerns in veil of playfulness, especially when it is discomfort because of my presence" he kissed the back of her hand, and felt a slight shiver passing through Jyoti.

His deep voice, laced with care and compassion was enough to melt Jyoti's heart even more, but the kiss did the opposite as she quickly snatched her hand back out of embarrassment. 

The guards and maids were still out, working their shifts, and to be shown such a care, even in private, was something that made blood rush to her cheeks.

" Let's go Begum Noor" he said, again forwarding his hand to let Jyoti decide whether to take it or not. Her eyes which were now downcast due to timidness made Shehanshah feel a different emotion that he had never felt before, as if his heart was being thawed out from the cold.

Her slow breaths that fastened with the simple touch, her cheeks which reddened even under the hue of brown, and her eyes that dared not to meet with his felt otherworldly to the Shehanshah of the Mughals.

" Ji " her answer was inaudible, but the slow embrace of her soft and small hands into the rough hands of the Emperor was enough to make him smile. 

They took steps into the biggest tent in the camp, especially made for meetings, and the strong smell of hookah burned Jyoti's eyes and nose.

She quickly freed her hand to pull her veil down a bit more in order to hide her face, as Shehanshah understood her fear.

" Don't worry, the hookah is just for show. No one dares to drink and smoke in front of Bari Ammi. She would chew them alive if they do" he whispered to her, making Jyoti breathe out a sigh of relief. 

They stepped inside the room, as Jyoti's eyes scanned the people present to meet her. A few officials and Maham Anga, plus the maids who were serving everyone with fruits and beverages. 

" Aadab Shehenshah" Jyoti heard all of them greet Shehanshah, albeit a bit out of shock as no one announced his presence. 

Shehenshah greeted them back, as Jyoti too put her hands together and bowed a little, the gentlemen present followed her.

" Is your health fine now Shehanshah? Adgah Saheb told us that the journey was a bit taxing on you" Jyoti caught one of the officials asking among a pit of chatter. She looked at Shehanshah continuing the conversation, as the other officials too listened to him, while Maham Anga complained about the weather of Mahanagar. 

Jyoti felt at peace for a bit, realising that none of the officials had showered her with mocking questions like Jaswant had warned her, but soon it turned too boring for her. 

Travelling for hours, that too after getting married had already made her exhausted enough to fall asleep even on the ground if given the chance, and currently she was sitting on a comfortable couch, with Shehenshah's big frame and sturdy shoulder looking too cozy by her side.