Chapter 13. Voices

Annabeth
It feels like I'm falling into a void, the only person I can see is Prince Perseus. He looks terrified and Prince Alexander is nowhere to be seen.

'You shouldn't have-' something whispers into my ear. I shudder but can't do anything, my arm is in no condition to cover my ears.

'Poison'

I look around but can still only see Prince Perseus. I close my eyes, squeezing them tight. When I open them again all I see is mirrors.

I try to find my reflection but all I see is stuff that I can't do. My heart is pounding and I shut my eyes tight again.

When I open them I see little critters all around me.

'Poison'

The voices get louder and closer. I feel entrapped in my own mind.

'New kind of poison'

I'm scaring myself! "Go away!" I shout. But when I do shout my voice seems to be taken from me. I just want to be okay.

They giggle and fingers shut my eyes.

I open my eyes again and Prince Perseus is there again. 'The antidote'

My hand moves against my will and I swallow something, then force Prince Perseus to swallow it too.

Run...

I gasp and my eyes open, Prince Alexander is fighting something but my vision is too blurry to see the thing he's fighting.

Prince Perseus is next to me, he's looking down at me with worry in his eyes. Before he has time to process it I hug him. I feel like sobbing, but I mustn't.

I have to be the strong one, I can't have emotions. No one can know what goes on inside my head. No one.

I hear a grunt and suddenly someone is kneeling next to us. "We have gotta get out of this place," Prince Alexander mutters.

Percy and I nod, and we get up.

Something huge runs to us. I un-sheath my dagger and stab it a couple of times. I'm scaring myself.

Whenever something comes within twenty feet of us I stab it. What have I become?

I want to go home, be in the confines of my room with no one but myself. I hate the world. Why is it so cruel?

Alexander and Percy help me up and we run. We run and run and run, run until we're out of breath. After we've caught our breath we keep running.

We reach the middle of The Great Forest, there's a bunch of lights and I start getting scared. Why are there lights in a forest?

I shrug it off and look at Alexander and Percy, hopefully with a normal look. I can't look scared in front of these two. If I do they'll have an advantage over me.

I nod at them and take the lead. Walking into the middle.

They follow behind me and I suddenly have a weird feeling. Not a bad feeling, but like I finally have someone to rely on. That's just wrong, I shake my head and continue walking.

I hear little whispers and see things skitter across the floor occasionally, they look weirdly humanoid. They walk on four legs and have weirdly grey skin.

"What are those things?" Percy asks. I shrug and continue walking.

"Who are you and what is your business here?" A loud voice booms. I flinch and my shoulder sends a spark of pain through my whole body. My eyes go wide and tears threaten to escape my eyes.