Peace

Time passed, eventually Queen Omelet's crying turned into silent sobs, and eventually she fell into silence. When it was all over, Queen Omelet just sat there in silence for a long time, and Embryo sat beside her saying nothing, letting Queen Omelet just be.

Finally, "What do I do now?" asked the Queen, "Without the egg, how do I keep the kingdom together? How do I bring us back together under one united love?" There was such a sadness of loss in her eyes, Em couldn't help but feel sorry for her.

Finally, Embryo took a breath, nodding inwardly for what she was about to do.

Then, carefully, she withdrew her egg from her pouch, "Look. See here?" She paused a moment, part of her didn't know how she felt about the words she was about to say, the texture of the egg in her talons still felt awkward from the memories of all the angst it had brought to her body, but deep inside, she felt that what she was about to say was what needed to be said, "I laid this egg myself, it was formed without the help of a partner, and I can tell you more than certain there is no dragonet growing inside it, it's empty. It brought me so much pain, but this is all it is, just an egg."

Queen Omelet looked at Embryo, the tears still fresh in her eyes. "But that's the problem, we just don't lay enough of those eggs to hold together our nation."

"Maybe not by us alone, but there are many other dragons out there, thousands of them, who are laying eggs with no dragonets inside of them, everyday they suffer... just like I did... for eggs they have nothing to do with. Perhaps - I can't guarantee it - but perhaps there will be some out there willing to share some of their own with us. For a trade or something like that."

Queen Omelet hesitated, their tribe had never had to trade for food before, but now, given the situation... "But what about the other tribes? There won't be enough for them?"

Embryo cracked a weak smile, "I can assure you, none of the other tribes value the Omelet like we do."

Queen Omelet sighed, slowly she got to her feet, "There's still a crowd out there I presume. I suppose it's time we go out there and put this whole matter to rest."

When Embryo and Queen Omelet emerged from the castle gateways to the crowd that awaited them, the Sun had risen in the sky, the air was damp with dew, and in every step Embryo took was the feeling of a new day.

Seeing them approaching, Summit flew up, alighting beside Embryo.

"How are things," he asked, "She didn't hurt you did she?"

Embryo just gestured to the Queen; she didn't want to mention that incident with the metallic egg Queen Omelet had thrown at her back in the Queen's chambers. (Oh poor Summit, she realized, realizing he would probably never know about that aspect of her existence, that she'd probably never get around to telling him. She supposed that in the vastness of our lives, even with those you share everything with, there will be some moments that pass into the infinite reaches of time without being said, and the memory of her folded over in the Queen's quarters, clutching at herself in the most embarrassing place, the fact that the one she was absolutely closest to could never know that blush-inducing moment made her feel all the more blushy as she was once again reminded that there were some aspects of her that were so distinctly female, that no matter how close the two of them were, the experience of actually being her in her body would always be a mystery to him, and there were some cases where the truth of that predicament caused too much crushiness inside her to be entirely bad. (Though she hoped never to get hit there ever again. Not that it mattered in the end considering she was with egg and that was much worse.))

Queen Omelet stepped forward and looked out at the crowd watching her with not at least the smallest bit of weariness. She took a deep breath and said the only thing a Queen like her could say in this situation, "I'm sorry."