EGO DEATH - THE TEARS THAT FOLLOWED

Floating about in the primordial soup of life, Rose's organs began to liquefy, as her body drifted apart, and slowly began to break down into the basic elements. Finally at one with all, and back in the same ocean that her ancient ancestors emerged from billions of years ago, her consciousness began to hear voices. Her own, and those of others.

"I don't... I don't understand anything..."

No one does

"Then why try at all!?"

When it was too much, you just refused to accept the truth

"It was always too much! Too many variables, too many atrocities!"

You need to accept what you cannot change, regardless of how horrible it is. Shutting out reality and living in fantasy is no different from being dead

"Then maybe I should just die..."

You finally figured out what you want to do with your life, then? To simply throw it away?

LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE

"Rose? It's me, Heather. I never meant for any of this to happen. I didn't mean to hurt you. It's no one's fault, this was the natural course of life, and it would've happened one way or another. Please forgive me."

"Rose? Do you remember me? I didn't do a lot, but I did my best, right? I hope this is what you wanted. Bye-bye, I hope you can forgive me."

"Rose? Hey, how are you? I told you we'd meet again. I'm sorry I was never able to tell you how I felt until it was too late. Can you forgive me?"

"Rose? I'm sorry. Because of me, hundreds of thousands of those remaining on Earth were killed. Because of me, you and seven other innocent people were trapped inside these horrible steel cases. I shouldn't have forced this on you. Please, Rose, forgive me."

A different sound began to resonate, the sound of countless voices joined as one, "We all came from nothing, and now we are once again nothing. As such, you and I are now able to see we are all the same at our core. We are all the same. We are all the same."

Rose saw all of existence as one, perfect hivemind.

"We fear others, but we need to be with others. Souls are inherently social, and yet, we push others away. Through the joining of all souls as one, we are perfect- a beautiful, soulless existence. This is your 'Heaven'"

Rose's last independent thought echoed through her fading mind, We won't need others, because we will be each other. This is... this is the answer I was looking for, the existence I wanted.

She experienced infinite lifetimes in less than a second, but time seemed to no longer be real. Nothing was real. All was nonexistent. We were one, but nothing. Infinity was Divinity, but the Divinities had left this world. Pain and pleasure, mixing and contorting endlessly, over and over, looping back and in on itself, folding and stretching forever, a mockery of life.

For the first time ever, the planet was truly, completely dead.