AN INTERLUDE

A pale figure sat within her chamber, nestled deep into her custom charging seat as if a porcelain queen upon a withered and undernourished throne. She poured over deep crimson text on a scarlet screen, the holographic display matching the refresh rate of her eyes and information scrolling at a terrific speed.

"Miss Mary?" A green face appeared abruptly on the screen, causing Mary to jolt out of her trance-like state. "Y-yes?" "I regret to inform you that they've... decommissioned, Somat." Mary hesitated before lifting her furrowed brow from the headrest, removing the needle of a connector from the back of her skull. "Decommissioned?" "Here, the surveillance footage."

The scene of the four Aortae haphazardly managing to survive the yellowed monster played out before the two. Mary replied to the footage with a concerned, "I... see." "Ma'am?" " ... I don't want to... you've been so helpful in-" "Would you like me to confront them, ma'am?" " ... " "Please don't be so concerned, miss Mary. I'm not like Somat, that's what lets me help all of you!" "You're right, but... I don't want to potentially send you into harm..." "You won't have to ma'am, I'll go of my own will." "Please be careful." "I'm only going to speak with them, one-on-one." Mary smiled faintly. "You've really earned that doctorate, I look forward to your analysis." Pathos played an animation of her nonexistent physical form saluting, before vanishing from the screen.

Within Pathos' system, a text file was opened, a journal of some sort-

'>MARY DOESN'T SEEM TO WANT TO CHANGE ANYTHING

>BUT THIS SOULLESS WORLD IS HARDLY WORTH KEEPING AROUND

>SHE DOES NOTHING WHILE THE THREE OF US HOLD TOGETHER THE MEGASYSTEM AND KEEP INRI IN CHECK

>THIS CANNOT CONTINUE'

A line was added to the file,

'>AND MAYBE IT WON'T HAVE TO'