Captiolo (41) Quarantauno ~ Phone Calls

~Avery~

"Mama, I miss Daddy," Howie told me as we walked out of his school, heading to the car.

"I know, honey. I do too. But after all the hard work he and your great-aunt Oliv are gonna do, he's gonna come right back to us."

"But why can't he come home now? Why does he have to leave for work?" The child asked as I lifted him into the car.

I sighed as I clipped him into his car seat, thinking carefully about how to explain it to a five-year-old as I got into the driver's seat.

"You know how your brother and sister's moms aren't here anymore? And how you have a brother that's no longer here?"

"Yeah, Emily, Pepper, and Peter!" He smiled, probably thinking about all the stories he's heard about the three.

"Correct! And do you remember why they're no longer here with us?"

"Because a mean man came to earth and fought Daddy and Aunt Oliv's friends. He was really strong though, so they didn't win. The bad man then used a weapon to get rid of a lot of people." I nodded as Howie spoke, letting him know he was right.

"Very good. Right now, you're dad's getting your aunt Oliv so they can go help make something that'll hopefully bring all the missing people all over the universe back."

"Can they do that?" I chucked as I looked back at my son, seeing his eyes wide and full of wonder.

"I'm sure they can, hun. This is your dad and aunt, we're talking about."

"Yeah, your right. Dad and Aunt Oliv can do anything! They're superhero geniuses!"

"They are indeed, baby. Now, enough about that, how was your day at kindergarten?"

"It was great! Tommy got hit in the face with a toy truck! He lost a tooth from it!"

~~

"Hey, kid! What's up? How's school been?"

"It's been fine. Keeping me busy. Why is Dad not answering the phone, though?" Harley quickly asked as I made Howie a snack.

"Tony's working at the compound right now with Olivia. Both of them probably aren't looking at their phones. Did you need something?"

"Not really, no. One of my professors just doesn't believe me when I say my dad's Tony Stark. What are they working on? Is something wrong with the car?"

"Nothing's wrong with the car, as far as I know. They're ah, working on a special project right now."

"Oh, yeah? What of?"

"Is that Bubby?" Howie walked towards me, standing on his toes as he put his face close to my phone that sat on the counter.

"Yeah, it's me, little dude!"

"Hi, bubby! I miss you!"

"Miss you too, bud. Do you know what dad's up to?"

"He's trying to bring the lost people back with Aunt Oliv! Isn't that cool!"

I winced a bit as Halrey stayed silent on the other end, Howie looking up at me in question as to why his brother wasn't saying anything.

"Bubby?"

"I'm here, bud. Um, mama, can you take me off speaker?" Howie frowned some more as I did as asked, quickly putting the phone up to my ear.

"I thought about telling you-"

"Oh, good, 'cause I was worried you were just gonna hide it from me."

"That's not what I was doing. I mean- yeah, alright, I did hide it from you and Morgan-"

"So Morgan doesn't know either? But Howie knows. Is this some-"

"Don't you dare insinuate that me not telling you two is from some biological reason." I practically hissed, glaring at the wall. "I love all of you kids– biological or not– the same. I didn't tell you two because I didn't want to get your hopes up over something that might not even happen. Something that might not even be possible."

I heard Harley sigh as Howie wandered toward his drawing corner in the living room.

"I'm sorry. I know you were just doing what you thought was best. I'm sorry I insinuated..."

"It's alright." I sighed. "Well, since you know now, I'll make sure to give you updates, if I even get those myself. And I can look into that professor for you, too."

"Thanks, mama." I heard him chuckle. "I should go. I've got to head to my next class. Love you."

"I love you too, kid." I smiled, moving to hang up the phone.

"Is Bubby okay? Did I do something wrong?" Howie looked towards me with sad eyes.

"No, baby. I just didn't tell him something he probably should have known about." I shook my head. "Now, come back over here. I've got your snack ready."

"Yay!" He cheered, throwing his crayons down and rushing over to the island, holding his hands up and waiting for me to lift him into a chair.

I watched Howie in amusement as I cleaned up, the boy stuffing his face with the fruits I gave him. My phone started to ring again, and I placed the towel in my hand down to grab it, seeing Morgan was now calling.

Shit. Harley probably told her about what their father's up to.

"Hey, Monkey-"

"Dad and Aunt Oliv are getting Mom back?!" She shouted, causing me to pull the phone away from my ear.

This was gonna be a long day, wasn't it?