Captiolo (37) Trentasette ~ Arguments

~Avery~

On January 18, 2019, James Howard Stark was born.

It was a very emotional day, with lots of screaming and crying, all mainly from Tony. I was really lucky to have my family there with me, helping me through the long and tiring process.

Tony and I haven't gotten married quite yet, as we were waiting for after things settled and for after I gave birth and got my body back as my own. We have been working on planning, though, and have already decided on a date and venue.

Harley was off at college at MIT, and Tony and I couldn't be prouder. He calls when he can, and we saw him not long ago for winter break. Though I will say, I do greatly miss having him around.

Right now, I was at the house on the main floor with Morgan in the kitchen, arguing over her going to an unsupervised party at one of her friend's houses while I tried to make dinner and supervise Howie, all at the same time. She tried to ask Tony, but his answer was "Check with Peg".

"Monkey, I'm sorry, but I just don't think it's a good idea, especially with the house being so far away."

"Avery, come on, it's not like you or Dad won't be tracking my phone the whole time! And you know some of the kids going-"

"I know more than some of the kids, and I can tell you that some of them are not the most trustworthy or responsible." I pointed my spatula at her.

"God, you're being unreasonable! Why can't you just let me go? You can even give me a curfew! I'll make sure to follow it!"

"Morgan, honey, I just don't think you're quite old enough now. Maybe in a year, we can-"

"A year?" She scratched, making me wince. "That's so unfair! I don't even know why I have to ask you about this, you're not my mom!"

My heart seemed to stutter in my chest, and I was grateful that my back was already turned so that Morgan couldn't see the tears springing in my eyes.

I know I'm not her real mom. Her real mom, my best friend, and sister, is gone. She's not coming back. I've just been doing my best not to replace Pepper, but to help give Morgan that motherly role I know she had been missing.

"Well, he told you to ask me, and my answer is no. Now, could you please go down to the lab and tell your father dinner is almost ready please?"

"I'm not really hungry anymore," Morgan grumbled, storming out of the kitchen and toward her room, slamming the door shut and causing Howie to burst into tears.

"Oh, Howie, honey." I tiredly sighed, turning off the burner and walking over to him, picking the baby up from his playpen in the living room. "Friday, could you please let Tony know dinner's ready?"

"Already done, Ms. Lynn. He should be up momentarily."

"Thank you."

By the time I had finished plating the food, Tony came upstairs, giving me a quick kiss before picking a plate up, telling me he had to finish checking something out for a project Olivia was working on before the morning, so he would eat downstairs.

I sighed as he rushed away, quietly mumbling to himself as he walked down the stairs. Picking up one of the other plates with my free hand, I walked towards Morgan's room, setting the plate in front of the door before softly knocking.

"Morgan, hun. I know you don't wanna eat with me right now, so you're dinners here outside your door waiting. Just leave the plate back out here when you're done." I quietly said before walking back to the kitchen, smiling slightly when I heard the door open and close.