Chapter (6) Six ~ ...the girl who got thrown back into a fight

~Olivia~

I gasped as a spear flew past me, almost slicing my right cheek open.

"Pay attention, Oliv! Don't get distracted!" Okoye yelled as I ducked and rolled, getting away from the swipe Nakia took at my kneck.

"It's a bit difficult at the moment!" I yelled back, grabbing the spear that had embedded itself into the wall.

"Ignore the feeling! Everyone's told you it means nothing!" Ayo frowned from where she sat, watching on the sidelines.

"Yeah, well, my gut feeling isn't everyone," I grunted, taking a swipe at Okoye, then quickly moving to defend myself from Nakia's stab at me. "And it's never been wrong before."

"There's a first time for everything," Ayo mumbled.

"Oh yeah?" I grunted, quickly attacking and ripping Nakia's spear right out of her hand, using the two spears to knock Okoye to the ground, rendering them both defenseless as I held each blade to their neck. "Does that include beating you, ladies?"

All three women stared at me in shock before Ayo broke out laughing, clutching her sides as she rocked back and forth.

"She got you! White girl beat the both of you without her powers! I never thought I would see the day!"

"She got lucky," Okoye mumbled as I moved the spears away from both women, helping the one on the ground to her feet.

"Or she's been practicing with her partner." Nakia wiggled her eyebrows, making me roll my eyes.

"As much as I love fighting a one-armed Bucky, I wouldn't call him much of a challenge, considering he refuses to not go easy on me."

"He's still afraid of hurting you?" Ayo asked.

"Yeah. But I think we're getting somewhere. Last training session he allowed himself to actually bruise me."

"Quite the accomplishment, letting yourself harm your lover." Okoye joked, making us all chuckle.

"Speaking of my lover boy, he should be waking up soon. So I've got to head out." I told the women, moving to put the spears away before grabbing my duffle bag with a change of clothes, towel, and water bottle.

"Alright. Tell him we say hello!" Nakia smiled, and I waved as I walked away.

The walk back to Bucky and I's hut didn't take long, though I did get stopped a few times by some of the villagers and their kids. Once I got to Bucky and I's little plot of land the king graciously gave us, I made sure to set the goats free and pour them their breakfast oats before heading inside, where a sleeping Bucky lay on the bed, his arm placed over his eyes.

"Jamie," I smirked, throwing my bag onto the floor and walking over to the bed, crawling so I laid on top of the soldier. "Come on, lover boy. It's time to get up."

I chuckled as he mumbled something inaudible, not even bothering to move an inch.

"What?"

"I said get off. You're all gross and sweaty." He mumbled again, making me let out an offended gasp as I slapped his shoulder.

"Excuse you, sir, but I was just busting my ass taking Okoye and Nakia down at the same time while you were up here snoozing!"

"You didn't?" Bucky slowly asked, moving his arm off his face.

"I did." I proudly smiled, and I watched as the soldier's face quickly mirrored my own.

"Oh my god, Doll, that's amazing!" He cheered, moving his arm to my back and flipping us so I was underneath him. "I'm so proud of you! You've been working at that for forever."

"Well, I wouldn't say forever," I grumbled, playing with the collar of his shirt.

"I would. You've been sparring them since Ayo got the words out of my head." He gave me a pointed look.

"Yeah, well..." I rolled my eyes.

Before Bucky could say anything else, I quickly threw my leg over his, using the fact he still only had one arm to my advantage as I flipped us again so that I was now straddling the man's hips.

"We can celebrate my awesomeness later. We've got chores to do."

Bucky groaned as I moved off of him, grabbing a plain white shirt and jeans from our dresser and changing out of my biker shorts and black shirt. When I came out of the bathroom, I noticed Bucky had already changed and was now struggling to put on his shoulder wrap.

"How many times does it take for you to be able to be patient and wait for my help?" I asked, moving to stand in front of him, my legs between his own as he sat on the bed.

"As long as it takes for me to be able to do this without help." The soldier told me, and I tightened the last not extra tight out of irritation, causing him to wince.

"You can't do everything by yourself, Jamie. I know you want to, but you can't. That's the truth. I just really hope you stop trying to be so stubborn and actually let me help you as soon as you need it." I grabbed Bucky's chin, tilting his head up so I was able to kiss his forehead. "Now, come on. We've got a farm to manage."

Bucky and I worked around the property for a few hours, doing our normal tasks. I had the job of chopping firewood, dealing with laundry, and preparing lunch, while Bucky took care of the goats; feeding them, letting them out of the stall, and dealing with their hay. The two of us were currently in the last parts of our chores, with Bucky moving the hay while I made lunch.

"Jamie! Come take a break, foods-" I cut myself off, seeing some figures making their way towards us in the distance.

"Doll?" Bucky walks up to me, wiping his hand on his shirt.

"Seems like we've got company," I mumbled, glancing at the brunette before walking over to the group. "If I had known we were getting visitors, I would have made more food."

"My apologies, Olivia. But we are not here to stay." T'Challa nodded in greeting to Bucky and me while Okoye repeatedly glanced at me.

The two of us watched as one of the King's Guards walked forward, placing a long case on a nearby surface, and opening it before walking back to his fellow guard. I stayed back while Bucky walked toward the open case, seeing a new black vibranium arm with gold accents.

"Where's the fight?" He sighed, and my heart ached for my partner.

"On its way," T'Challa told us, and I could tell he wasn't quite happy about the situation either.

Though what sane person is ever happy about war?

~~

"How you doing?" I asked Bucky, walking up behind him and wrapping my arms around his waist as he dried his hair in front of the bathroom mirror.

T'Challa had offered us a room at the palace so we could have a proper shower and change into new uniforms that I designed with the help of Shuri a while back.

"I didn't think we would be thrown back into a fight so soon."

"Jamie, we've been in Wakanda for two years. There was bound to be something soon enough." I mumbled into his back.

"...You already knew."

"I- Not exactly," I said as Bucky turned around, looking down at me. "I just... had one of my gut feelings. I didn't realize it was 'cause a war is coming."

"You should have told me." Bucky sighed.

"Jamie, you were asleep!" I chuckled.

"You could have woken me up!"

"What, so I could have the joy of being around a grumpy Jamie? No, thank you."

Bucky laughed at that, pulling me into a hug as he kissed my forehead. "Well, either way, I would have listened."

"Yeah, I know." I breathed in, getting a strong whiff of Bucky's body wash. "God, you smell so good!"

"What, did I not used to smell good?" Bucky chuckled with a perplexed look on his face.

"Yeah, you smelled like goat shit."

"Hey!"