Chapter 34

It seemed like Arik wasn't going to show himself anytime soon.

Something about his absence unnerved Zayden. It was as though he was so sure about his victory over the mortals that he didn't even need to step foot on the battle-field.

The Shadow Wanderers seemed to be everywhere; in every building, in every house, on every tree. Their army was increasing in numbers every two minutes, which looked to Zayden a number more than he'd faced in the Red war.

For the umpteenth time, he blamed himself for how ignorant he had remained during his reign. Arik's followers had multiplied since their last massacre, hiding among the immortal civilizations, waiting for a chance to emerge. And he wasn't aware of their movements in centuries.

With the Stormrage in hand, Zayden moved past troop after troop, summoning bolts of lightning after lightning, leaving only destruction in his wake. If he was being honest with himself, he could admit that the sword was draining all his energy with every new buzz of excitement it gave him. His arms shook with its weight and most of the bolts started losing their shock.

Claudia and the immortal army trailed behind their king, slaying one demon follower after another. At one instance, when he could move his arm no more, he threw the sword toward Claudia to try. A successful thunder roared from the sky, followed by multiple bolts that slayed their targets at once. She shouted in exhilaration.

The Serafiels had created a layer of ice that settled over the sea; in an attempt to stretch out the battle-field and draw the demonic army away from the island.

As Zayden freed himself from a couple of stubborn Wanderers on the ice, he saw them approaching. The two Serafiels along with his sister and father. His father was still spectacular with his sword as he defended himself from the back using a crossbow. A relieving satisfaction washed upon him to see him faring well on his own, on a battlefield after centuries of solitary confinement.

As they approached closer, Zayden saw his father glance at him and immediately freeze. He stepped closer, outstretching his arm with the Stormrage.

"Thought you'd like to hold your sword," he said. A wave of exhilaration passed through him realizing it was the first time in a long while that he had directed words to his father while another soul was present to watch.

Zayden frowned as he saw the surprised expression on his father's face as his gaze switched from him to the Stormrage, and was utterly fazed when Lugus stepped forward to pull him into a hug. Zayden took a moment to relax into his arms amidst the chaos reigning.

As soon as they pulled apart, Lugus smacked Zayden's arm with the hilt of his sword. "Ouch?" he asked.

"Damn the Stormrage, Zayden! I thought you were dead," Lugus said, his breath heaving.

Zayden couldn't help but scoff. "What?"

"What else was I supposed to assume when the last I knew about you was your progress to the Forbidden Cliffs, and days later, instead of you, the girls entered my room?" he replied in exasperation.

Zayden stood fazed by his explanation. "No one informed you of the triumph of our journey?" he asked, looking around at the Serafiels and Aurora.

"No one thought to mention anything about that to me, and I was just left to assume," Lugus finally said.

Aurora's mouth was half-opened in amusement and a chuckle escaped her lips as she realized their mistake.

"Why, then, if the Stormrage was already in your possession, you needed to send for me? It made sense for me to theorize that a monarch was only needed after the king had fallen," explained Lugus.

The Shadow WanderersOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara