Chapter 17 - Alive

"Hold still" I told Brienne as I pulled out the dagger that was buried deep in her shoulder.
She grunted from the pain but shook it off quickly.
"We need to get out of here now" she said as more footsteps approached from the corridor, "but you'll need these" and she returned my precious Forester Steel daggers to me. I was so happy to be reunited with them.
My hands flexed around the grips and we readied ourselves to face another wave of Red Priests. But when the door opened there stood a small army of soldiers dressed in blue and grey, with a wolf head emblazoned on their chestplates.
"Ser Brienne! Thank the Gods you're both alive!" the captain said.
"Is the path clear?" Brienne asked in her military voice.
"Mostly, a few stragglers but not many" he replied.
"Good. Let's go" and she beckoned us all out.
The Stark soldiers easily cut down the stragglers and got us to their boats. We had been held in a large tower on a small island in the middle of nowhere surrounded by mist. I watched it fade into the distance as we rowed away.
"Is it over?" I said out loud, not actually expecting anyone to answer.
"Yes, we're on our way home now" Brienne said. Now that my vision was becoming clearer I saw, to my horror, that she was covered in blood, cuts and bruises.
"What happened to you? How did you escape? Why didn't you run?" I said all at once.
"It doesn't matter. I couldn't just leave you".
"You really are my hero" I said sincerely.
I smiled weakly and started to feel dizzy. My adrenaline suddenly wore off and my body felt extremely weak again. I lost consciousness and fell into her lap.
"Imogen!"

*

"B-Brienne?"
"Imogen? Can you hear me?"
"Urgh...pain..."
"Shhh it's alright. Try not to move. We're back at the castle. We're safe".
My eyes fluttered open and I saw Brienne sitting on the bed in our chambers. She was wearing her casual clothes and her arm was in a sling. She still had some cuts and bruises on her face but they were starting to heal.
"How long have I been unconscious?" I said feebly sitting up in bed.
"Three days".
"What?!"
"Your body couldn't handle whatever it was they put you through. I thought you were dead" she choked on the last sentence and a tear rolled down her cheek. I sat up fully and cupped her face.
"Please don't cry. I'm alive, thanks to you" I reassured her. She wept onto my shoulder for a while, her free arm holding onto me tightly that I thought she might crush my ribs.
"I love you Imogen" she said through tears as she pulled away.
I thought I was still dreaming or I had died and this was heaven.
"You...you do?"
"Yes. I'm sorry I didn't tell you before. I was too afraid. I wanted to tell you back in our cell but those bastards took that chance away from me. The thought of losing you...it broke my heart. I had to save you. You mean everything to me".
No words could describe how elated I felt, but my heart was soaring above the clouds. So instead of saying anything I just kissed her with every bit of love I had to give.
"You've no idea how happy you've just made me. I love you so much my lady knight".
She giggled at the nickname.
"I love you too Imogen".