Chapter 10 - Promise

Brienne was still lying next to me when I awoke the next morning, her grip around my waist had slackened so I intertwined my fingers with hers and brought her hand close to my chest. She stirred a little in her sleep but carried on snoring softly, her hot breath on my neck. I didn't care about getting about to Winterfell now, I could happily lie with her here for the rest of my life.

A few minutes later I felt her take a deep breath and shift about, she was waking up. I pretended to be asleep to see what she did next. She gave my hand a light squeeze before sliding her fingers out of mine. She sat up then moved off the bed. I heard the chink of metal as she tried to put her armour back on quietly. Then she left.

I sat up immediately.
"Where is she going?!" I panicked.
I hurriedly put my boots on and ran downstairs to catch her...but she was gone. My heart sank and suddenly I felt exposed and vulnerable even though the inn was empty. I ran outside and looked around, still no sign of her.
"What the hell?! Did she just vanish into thin air?!"
I looked in as many places as I could without straying too far from the safety of the inn. Nothing.
"No no no..."
I returned to the room and slumped on the floor by my bed, my arms head in my hands. I'd scared her off, I just knew it. Last night my infatuation had gotten the better of me in my sleepy state and I asked too much of her, so she ran away.
"You idiot" I cursed myself.
But surely she wouldn't just leave me here? Alone in this unfamiliar town with the Red Riders still hunting me? She gave me her word...

Just then the bedroom door opened and my heart lifted when I saw the familiar armour-clad figure of Brienne step through, "ah you're awake" she said lightly.
I darted across the room and threw my arms around her, she held her arms up in surprise at my sudden contact.
"I thought you'd left me!" I said, clinging to her.
"What? Why would I leave you?"
"I thought I'd scared you off after last night" I said timidly.
She put her arm around me, "it takes a lot more than just sharing a bed to scare me".
I laughed through my overwhelming relief.
"Besides I made a promise to your uncle not to leave you until I know you're safe" she said and I looked up, still holding her.
"You did? When?"
"Just before we left and I intend to keep that promise Imogen. So I'm not going anywhere" the sincerity behind her words made my heart melt.
"So why did you leave?"
"I got us some breakfast" and she held up a brown parcel tied with string.
"Oooo!" I quickly released her and snatched the parcel out of her hand. I pulled the bow apart and the paper fell open to reveal two sticky sweet pastries filled with jam. My mouth began to fill with saliva.
"I got them from one of the market stalls, I wasn't sure if you-" she trailed off when she saw me munching away on my first bite. My mouth covered in flakes.
"Hmm?" I mumbled with my mouth full.
She chuckled, "nothing my lady".

*

Later that morning we said goodbye to Dowington and continued on our journey to Winterfell. Brienne seemed different today, she was more relaxed and jovial even making a couple of jokes. It made me happy to see her like this, especially after seeing her so sad yesterday. Maybe last night meant a lot to her too.

We stopped off a couple of times to train, she really tested me and my arms and legs were aching terribly afterwards. She told me my footwork was improving but my aim was still a little off. So that night I practised with my throwing knives on a tree, imagining the Red Priest's face from my dreams.
"Try not to throw them so aggressively. It causes you to go off target" Brienne said as she lit the campfire.
"I was thinking of someone I hate" I said, throwing another.
"The Red Priest?" she guessed. I always confided in her about my dreams the following morning because she had to deal with my hysteria.
"Yeah I want to wipe that smug grin off his face" I said angrily.
She stood beside me and observed me launching another knife. A chunk of wood splintered off the tree but the blade bounced and landed on the ground. I growled in frustration.
"Here, let me show you".
Brienne lifted my arm and held my hand with the next blade in, her face close to mine as we aimed it together.
"Forget about who your enemy is, just focus on a target area" she steered my arm to aim at the top of the trunk, "now take a deep breath...and throw".
Despite feeling her cheek graze mine, our arms side by side and her long fingers around my hand I managed to throw the blade and hit the target.
"Well done!" Brienne praised. I lowered my arm but her fingers were still on my hand that was now starting to shake. I turned my head and our faces were still close, our eye contact lingering, I leaned in ever so slightly...
"I'll retrieve your knives for you" she said and walked away abruptly to go to the tree. She reached up and pulled it out with ease then picked up the others scattered on the floor.
"Thanks" I said, disappointed.

*

Another nightmare began as I drifted to sleep. I could hear a woman's voice crying out for help but I was surrounded by fog and couldn't find the source. I spun around trying to figure out which direction it was coming from but every way I turned it switched places. So I just ran straight ahead of me, the calls getting louder until I saw a large silhouette.
"Hello?" I shouted.
The figure turned to me and went to take a step forward but as it did another more familiar silhouette appeared behind them. The sound of a blade slicing skin filled my ears and the tall figure fell to the ground holding their throat and choking. I ran towards them and to my horror I saw Brienne, she looked up at me as blood gushed from her neck and life drained out of her eyes...
I sat bolt upright panting and my face covered in cold sweat and tears.
"Brienne? Brienne, where are you?!" I looked around frantically as my eyes adjusted to the darkness.
"I'm here Imogen" her voice was a welcome relief and I heard her heavy metal footsteps jog over to me. I looked up to see the moon behind her, the light bouncing off her armour and her blonde hair glowing. She stood over me with one hand on Oathkeeper's sheath and the other on the hilt, scanning the area ready to fight. She really was my guardian angel, my knight in shining armour, my hero...my love.
"He had you!" I said, tears forming in my eyes again. She knelt down and immediately knew who and what I was talking about.
"Shhh I'm right here Imogen" she said, holding my face and wiping my tears away with her thumbs.
"I don't ever want to lose you Bri, I-" I stopped myself, scanning her face and staring longingly at her pink lips.
"Just do it" my inner voice said and like she'd heard my thoughts she quickly moved her hands away.
"We'll leave first thing in the morning. The sooner we get to Winterfell the better" and she left me to go back to her side of the camp.