Chapter 14 - Perfection

When I got back to our bed chambers Brienne was already asleep, or at least she was pretending to be. I tiptoed around the room then got into bed with her, we lay facing away from each other and it felt like there was a huge wall between us.
I kept thinking about our kiss, I could still taste her on my lips and feel her wet skin on my fingers. Things would never be the same between us now. I feared she would avoid me or leave me for good, but I found comfort in that she had made a promise and as Sansa said she was a woman of her word.

Brienne left early the next morning and I found her in the courtyard training with squires and other soldiers. I watched her from a balcony and was hypnotised by the way she moved, powerful yet graceful.
"She's good isn't she?" my thoughts were interrupted by the Queen. I jolted up from the balcony and quickly bowed to her.
"Oh! Good morning your Majesty" I said.
Sansa chuckled, "she's taught you well too. You can drop the formalities for now, just call me Sansa".
"As you wish Sansa".
She leaned on the balcony watching the happenings in the courtyard, but my eyes stayed on Brienne.
"You two have quite a relationship don't you?" Sansa observed.
"Um...yes I suppose we do. She's saved my life so many times now I've lost count".
Sansa chuckled, "I think your bond goes beyond that".
"What do you mean?" she piqued my curiosity.
"I saw you both in the dining hall last night, it was like you two had been friends for years. But even when you looked away, she was still staring at you. I've never seen her like that with anyone before".
I looked back over at Brienne, she had finished training and was sharpening her sword.
"May I ask...is there something more between you?"
"N-no, there isn't" I said solemnly.
"But you want something more?"
I was amazed, I'd known this woman less than a day and already she could read me like an open book.
"I-" I sighed, even if I tried to cover it up she would know I was lying.
"Yes I do and I think she does too. But it's like she's not allowing herself to love or be loved by anyone".
"Does she open up to you at all?"
"Kind of, but as soon as she does she closes again".
"Has she told you about Jamie Lannister?"
"Jamie Lannister? The Kingslayer?"
"Yes, she was his captor once but then they got captured together. He lost a hand defending her from being raped. For years they were very close, she even vouched for him to stay here and fight in the Battle of Winterfell. She had faith in him when no one else did. I could tell they were in love probably before they even knew themselves, but he left her to return to Queen Cersei in King's Landing".
"He did? Why?"
"He loved her more, but it cost him his life. Despite all of that Brienne still chose to honour him in the Book of Brothers".
"What's that?"
"It's a book dedicated to recording the deeds of the Kingsguard. She wrote several pages about him. I hope someone will write about her like that one day".
I started to see Brienne in a whole new way now but my heart broke for her.
"If you think you can love her and make her happy then tell her how you feel. You both deserve to be loved".
Sansa put a reassuring hand on my shoulder then walked off, leaving me alone with my thoughts and a new view of my lady knight.

*

Later that night I was sitting in our chambers staring into the fireplace absent-mindedly when Brienne entered. She was wearing an outfit similar to mine, a navy blue cotton shirt with brown leather pants.
"Where's your armour?" I said, surprised at the sight.
"It's being repaired and polished" she said, sitting down next to me.
"Isn't that my job?"
"Usually but I thought I'd give you a break. Besides the other squires are more trained in this sort of thing".
"More trained than a Forester? How dare you!" I said playfully, she tried hard to hold back a laugh.
I got up to pour some wine.
"Drink?"
"Yes please".
Our fingers touched when I handed her the cup, sending little tingles through my hand.
I sat back down and there was silence as we drank.
"I'm sorry about last night Imogen" Brienne said quietly, staring into her cup.
"You don't need to be" I reassured her, "but I want you to know that I meant every word I said and...that kiss meant a lot to me".
She lifted her head to look at me directly, eyes wide with surprise. Sansa was right. I had to tell her how I felt, I couldn't pretend anymore.
"Ever since the day I met you I've had these feelings for you that I can't explain. At first I just thought it was a silly crush, but it's not. It's much more than that. I know we haven't known each other long but I can't ever imagine my life without you now...and I don't want to. That morning I thought you'd gone I was so scared not just because you weren't there to protect me, but because I didn't think I'd ever see you again. It was then that I realised...I'm in love with you".
Brienne was dumbstruck but hung on my every word. Her mouth moved a couple of times but no words came out. My last words hung in the air, I desperately needed her to say something. Anything.
Eventually she swigged her wine and slammed the cup down on the table then got up to leave but I darted after her.
"Brienne! Please! Don't run away again!" I said and grabbed her wrist but she pulled away.
"If you really do love me you wouldn't have gone off with that tavern girl! I felt like such a fool sitting there alone waiting for you while you went for a quick fuck! It was humiliating!" she shouted with tears in her eyes.
"I didn't mean to hurt you. I just...I don't know what that was. I'm sorry".
"You'll find someone else and leave me, just like everyone does" she said bitterly and opened the door.
But just as she went to exit I blurted out, "I'm not Jamie!"
She froze and closed the door, "what did you say?"
"I know about Jamie Lannister. I know he left you for someone else. But I swear I would never do that to you" I stepped closer to her and held her face, "please Bri, I love you and I know you feel something for me too".
She tangled with her emotions, but she knew I was right. She wrapped her hands around my wrists ready to move my hands away as tears started to fall.
"I...I can't. You'll only end up hurt or d-"
"I won't, I know you'll make sure of that".
Her tears glistened like diamonds in the moonlight shining in from the window and her eyes looked a lighter shade of blue. Her pale skin was a ghostly white and her hair was a beautiful bright shade of gold, she took my breath away.
I continued to hold her face and slowly pulled her towards me for a kiss, those soft pink lips meeting mine once again. It was slow and loving but the best part was that she didn't run away. She brought me in close by my waist and I took the bold step of slipping my tongue past her lips, she reciprocated and I could faintly taste the wine she'd had minutes ago. When the kiss stopped she was still holding onto me and her pupils dilated as black as night, desire was taking hold of her...and me.
"Take me to bed Brienne" I whispered and she kissed me again but this time a little harder.

Without breaking contact she lifted me up and wrapped my legs around her waist carrying me over to the bed. She laid me down gently and her lips moved to my neck. I took the opportunity to run my fingers through her hair as she did, it was even softer than I remembered.
Our faces met again but she looked worried.
"I've never done this with a woman before" she whispered.
"Just go with your instincts...and don't stop" I told her.
She smiled down at me and as we continued to kiss I felt the lace on my shirt coming undone. She untucked it from my pants and sat me up to lift it over my head, revealing my naked torso. I was still covered in cuts and bruises but she didn't seem to care, she knelt in front of me and ran her fingers over every one of them.
"You're beautiful Imogen".
I started to untie the lace on her shirt and untuck it but before I took it off completely I asked, "may I?"
I knew she was self-conscious so I didn't want her to feel pressured. She answered by getting to her feet and removing it herself.
I was in awe as she stood topless before me, she was muscular and slender yet curvaceous and elegant. She was perfection.
"You are beautiful Brienne" I said and pulled her towards me by her belt, peppering kisses on her toned stomach as she let out little gasps of pleasure.
I stood up and went to unbuckle my belt but she stopped me.
"Let me...my lady" she said with a knowing smirk and we giggled.

Not long after that we were both naked, making love under the fur covers in the light of the fire. Hours passed and the snow continued to fall outside but the only thing that mattered to us was each other.
When it was all over we lay facing one another, our faces inches apart. She stroked my cheek as I got lost in her loving eyes.
"Thank you" she said.
"For what?"
"For reminding me what intimacy feels like".
"I'll make sure you never forget".
She giggled and our lips met in another delicate kiss.