Chapter 14

Chapter 14

"I took a look at the case file– the one about your mom's death," Sarge said in a monotone voice.

"Oh,"

That was all I could come up with; she had me in complete shock. Why would she ever do that? I hadn't been suspicious; I made sure of it. My heart was pounding as my brain was washed by non-stop thoughts.

"And... I found some interesting stuff. I think you know what I'm talking about, Charlie."

"I would rather not talk about this right now, Sarge," I said. I wasn't going to have any more of her bullshit. I knew she was my boss and all, but I had enough by now.

"I get it, Charlie– but I really have to ask you about this. I was looking over the case, and I couldn't let go of something, just the cop in my blood, you know?" she said, trying to maintain her power, "but, c'mon, you know what's about to come out of my mouth. I mean– it's completely crazy, but you have to explain to me at least."

Everything was about to unfold, which meant I had to improvise. However, a part of me was telling me that had already unfolded. No way, I thought, fighting the other side of my conscience.

"Alright then," I replied, now clearly showing my frustration to Sarge. "Ask away, Sarge."

"The file said your mother was sick; was that correct?" she asked.

"Yeah, had a heart condition–"

"And she needed meds for it, right?" she said, finishing my sentence.

"Yeah, ACE inhibitors or something like that," I replied.

"I see... Well, Charlie, I'm just gonna quit wasting our time. You're a good guy; you showed that in the academy." she said, pausing for a moment, clearly trying to think of how to articulate herself, "I hope I don't sound too crazy for saying this- but did your mother really kill herself?"

My heart sank to my feet. I guess the other part of my conscience was right. I knew it was time to improvise; I was going to make sure everything turned out completely fine. I slowly began to reach into my pocket as I snapped my head at her, taking her attention away from my hands.

"What the actual hell Sarge? Are you serious?" was the best I could come up with at that moment, "You know what?- before I step out of the car, just explain to me why you would ask such a thing."

"Charlie– I just find it hard to believe that she would purposely just leave you like that. She had been taking the same medication for over a month, so I don't think she would just miscalculate out of nowhere, right? C'mon Charlie, what really happened–"

Blood squirted everywhere.

All around the interior, the windows, windshield, and dashboard. It was all red. The seats, however, were already red, which I found ironic. There Sarge was, looking straight into my eyes as life slowly drained from her body. It was indeed such a beautiful sight, seeing the person I had known in the back of my head had it coming from the beginning.

I supposed I would just admit everything to her now; who could she tell anyway?

"Since you want to know so bad, I guess I'll just tell you now," I started, "yeah, it was me – you absolute idiot! I mean, come on, when you read the file, you should've known that it was me."

Although this was incredibly satisfying, I knew I didn't have much time until Sarge wasn't going to be able to listen to what I was saying, so I decided to cut it down and just give it to her, plain and simple.

"Evelyn, I had always thought you were a great individual. I could see the determination in your eyes and respected that, so I'll just let you in some secrets before you leave. Yeah, I slipped a couple extra crushed-up pills into her orange juice, and as you could tell from me being here in front of you right now, it went pretty well. But I have something you would be even more surprised about-"

Sarge was trying her best to get some words out, but I couldn't even slightly interpret what she was saying due to the blood leaking from her mouth. This was one of the more disgusting scenes.

"Yo-y-you si-sick bba-ba-bas-BASTARD!" she yelled out, spitting what felt like a thousand drops of blood onto my face.

Wiping the blood off of both of my eyes with the sleeves of my hoodie, I began to whisper into her ear, purposely making it sound like a movie scene. I found it very entertaining.

"If you thought that made me sick, Evelyn- you would be so shocked to find out who really killed that student. Julian- I think that was his name, right?"

I sat there in the seat of Sarge's car, holding the switchblade I had brought. Taking a deep sigh, I look over at Sarge, lifeless, just sitting there with a slit on her neck. Although most people would've gone into an instant panic attack, I knew how to control my emotions while doing this kind of stuff. I was surprisingly calmer than I had expected myself to be, however, because I knew I could get out of this.

I took out my cell phone and dialed 911.