Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"Understandably, the entire community of Brownsville is still stunned by last week's gruesome homicide. The killer remains at large, which only exists to further fuel this crime-ridden community. Our reporter, Sandra Park, is now live from Brownsville Academy High. What do you have for us today, Sandra? Any progress in bringing much-needed comfort and safety to the people of this broken suburb?"

"Yes, Bill, I'm standing at the gates of Brownsville Academy High where, as you can clearly see, the gates are still chained and locked. Last week's shocking murder of high school student, Julian Remones, has left this community speechless and frightened. The police revealed that the student was stabbed four times in the chest area by an unidentified man at about 2 PM last Friday. The NYPD has been working round the clock to gather evidence and any leads but to no avail. They ask the public for any information, that is, any information that might help in bringing this dangerous person to justice. If you have anything to add to this case, please call the number 1-800-2-"

I let out a deep sigh as I shake my head. I slowly peel myself off of my leather sofa. Despite it being winter, I've been sweating buckets. It's dark in this tiny studio apartment, but that's the way I like it. The brick walls hold back the usual chaotic noise of the city streets, and it helps me plan in peace.

I saunter into the kitchen area and then lean on the island, letting my back soak up the natural light coming in from a small window. I remember Mom used to do this, I think to myself.

I dig through the fridge for something not crawling with microbes and remotely edible. Dad was never a good homemaker. Only a little to learn from there. This thought only works to suddenly irritate me. Any thought that finds itself to remind me of my mother starts to aggravate me.