The Queen's Descent onto Mars

March 27, 2199

Earth

Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Shinjuku Ward, Tokyo, Japanese Empire

Nine days after the extensive coverage of the alien occupation of Mars, people on Earth continue their daily lives with fear about the first-ever interplanetary war in history. Among them is Tenmei Niwatsukino, a young bureaucrat working in the Foreign Ministry, who, along with his colleagues, is dedicated to their busy duties.

As the clock approaches noon, a large number of Foreign Ministry staff gathered in the employee cafeteria for lunch. On a massive screen hanging from the ceiling, the midday news show is broadcasting. Even after more than a week since the occupation of Mars, media outlets worldwide continue to report daily on the related developments. Two days after the International Federation delegation made contact with the group that occupied Mars, the world anxiously observes the ongoing negotiations. On this day, a shocking announcement once again grabbed the attention of people worldwide.

"Negotiations between the International Federation and the group calling itself the 'Space Drifters Union' that occupied Mars have been continuing day after day, and today, a new announcement was made by the International Federation. We bring you local footage from Washington, D.C."

The screen switched from the TV studio to the IF headquarters in Washington, D.C., where an IF spokesperson was making a statement at a press conference.

"First and foremost, the International Federation has officially recognized the armed group known as the Space Drifters Union as a 'nation.' In response to their government's demand to relocate their highest governing body, the Queen's Court, to Mars... we have granted approval to temporarily lease certain areas of the Martian city Seleno Aqua."

".........!!"

The world was stunned by the decision... as it seemed to acknowledge Mars as the territory of the opposing faction.

"However, let me be clear that this decision in no way validates the Space Drifters Union's governance of Mars. With the exception of the leased territory, Seleno Aqua, the entire Martian region remains illegally occupied, and our stance calling for the urgent liberation of Mars and the withdrawal of military forces remains unchanged!"

There was a clear gap in technological level between the two factions, and even if Earth refuses, the Union will force its way regardless. Therefore, the IF has granted the façade of legitimacy by 'leasing' the location for the relocation of the Queen's Court.

"...We have brought you the footage from Washington, D.C. Now, Akishima-san what are your thoughts on the International Federation's statement?"

"Well..."

The news footage switched back to the TV studio, where the news anchor sought the opinion of a visiting commentator. The IF maintains that the recognition of the Union's presence is limited to the leased territory and that the rest of Mars remains under IF sovereignty. However, the fact remains that they have essentially acknowledged the current situation under pressure from the other side, making them vulnerable to public criticism.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

March 27

Mars

Civic Auditorium, District 4, Suiryu

The press conference held by the IF on Earth was transmitted to the Martian media a few hours later. The citizens of Suiryu, living under an irrational occupation and oppression, were stunned upon hearing its contents. Even now, the city was still subject to the clamor of demonstrators and guerrillas demanding the Space Drifters Union to get out, along with the noises of destructive actions. The most dangerous city in the Solar System has turned into a literal hellhole, with theft among displaced people who have lost their homes, rampant arson and sexual crimes by illegal organizations and thugs.