CHAPTER NINETEEN

//Disclaimer: I do not own Ouran High School Host Club.//

CHAPTER NINETEEN

NO MORE SUGAR FOR YOU

"This is nice," Asami comments as she strolls through a park with Takashi next to her. In his arms are a blanket and wooden basket which causes Asami to assume that they'll be having a picnic. Takashi finds a quiet, picturesque spot in the park for their picnic that is by the lake which is full of animals. The sun is shining, and a gentle breeze rustles the leaves of the surrounding trees. Asami helps him spread out the blanket and sits down, watching as he opens the basket to reveal it is filled with delicious homemade treats. "Wow, thank you for bringing me here and for cooking these." She licks her lips, eagerly eyeing the strawberry shortcake she spots.

"I thought you might like it. It's quiet and peaceful." Takashi says quietly with a nod.

"I'm impressed that you made all of this without Mitsukuni eating them all." She comments with a laugh.

"It was like fighting off a ravenous coyote." He jokes. She stares at him in a bit of shock before grinning.

"I like hearing your laugh, it's full of warmth. You should do that more." She says. Asami takes a bite of a sandwich. "Mmm, it's really good! What's in it?"

"Turkey, cheese, and a secret ingredient." Takashi informs her.

"A secret ingredient? You're not going to tell me?" She gasps in fake hurt. "I thought we were friends."

"It wouldn't be a secret if I did and we are." They share a comfortable silence, enjoying the food and the serenity of the park. She watches a pair of swans laze around the lake, a school of fish jumping out of the water, and children playing tag with their parents supervising them.

"You know, I appreciate you inviting me out like this. You're not usually the one to take the initiative." She muses. It is true, she usually has to drag Takashi with her to do things together.

"I thought it would be a nice change of pace. And... I wanted to apologize." He admits. She looks at him curiously.

"Apologize? For what?"

"For the way I've been acting lately. I missed a few of your kendo lessons. I know I've been distant." He states.

"It's okay, Takashi. We all have our moments of being distant. What's been bothering you?" She asks, setting her half eaten sandwich down to give him her full attention.

"My father informed me how I am a possible suitor for you. I felt," he sighs, "strange about it. I know I am not your first choice, and I feel guilty over pursuing you when I know that this is something you do not want." 

"Awe Takashi," she reaches over and rests her hand on his shoulder, "I appreciate you taking my feelings into account; however, this is something we must do for our families, I understand that. And I'd prefer if it's mostly you pursuing me. My other suitor that I met was not the nicest." She shudders.

"He wasn't?" He frowns. "I do not understand how someone could not act nice toward you. You're a way of sunshine." Asami wants to laugh at that comment, but she knows that he is serious.

"Yeah, he was a real prick." Takashi snorts at her insult. "Thank you for opening up to me."

"Thank you for listening." They exchange a gentle smile. They continue their picnic, the atmosphere becoming more relaxed and carefree as Takashi jokingly puts some whipped cream on Asami's nose which resulted into a mini food fight—thankfully, most of the food was already eaten by then.