CHAPTER THREE

//Disclaimer: I do not own Ouran High School Host Club.//

CHAPTER THREE
THE CONVERSATION

The charity event definitely did not go as Shizue had planned. Asami was supposed to be introduced to everyone, suitors were going to be evaluated, and the family was going to look good for the paparazzi. Asami can feel the heat from her gaze on her while police surround her to question her about the text message and if she recognized anyone in the room that looked similar to Emica. She breathes out a slight sigh of relief as Tamaki soothingly rubs her arms while standing in between their grandmother and her. "No, no one here looks like her."

"Could she have dyed her hair?" One of them asks, writing quickly on a notepad in his hand. Asami feels her emotions hitting a boiling point with the useless questioning.

"What a great question. What would a woman on the run do to hide her identity? Obviously, she could have dyed her hair." She snaps. The policeman blinks and narrows his eyes at her.

"We are trying to keep you safe, young lady. There is no need for your attitude." He states in a strict tone of voice which only further makes Asami mad.

"If you're trying to keep me safe, why are you asking me pointless questions instead of looking at the camera footage and seeing if anyone had similar features to Emica?" She questions. Almost immediately, the policemen around her fall silent at that suggestion.

"Rei, get on that." One policeman awkwardly coughs and nudges the person next to him. The man nods his head quickly, walking briskly towards the owner of the building. "Thank you for your cooperation, we'll leave you alone now."

"Great," she mumbles with a roll of her eyes. Tamaki gently squeezes her hand.

"They're just trying to help," he says, "you shouldn't be so mean to them." She gazes at her brother in surprise at the disapproval on his face. She tries to fight off the smile on her face, but Tamaki notices it. "Why are you happy?"

"Because that felt like something an older brother would totally say to their rude little sister." She grins happily. "It's nice having you around." He smiles back at her.

"It's nice to have you around too." He replies. The two glance up to see Shizue stalking toward them with their father in tow. "I'll pray for you." He whispers.

"Asami," Shizue practically spits venom while saying her name, "are you in contact with your kidnapper?" Asami blinks in surprise at the accusations and narrows her eyes at her grandmother.

"I haven't spoken to Emica since the day the police found me," Asami answers truthfully. Secretly at night, her fingers hover over the phone number she had memorized as a child just to see if Emica would pick up yet she stops herself every time. Shizue hums with a look on her face that informs Asami that her grandmother does not believe her. Asami expected as much from her, but when she looks at her father, she blinks in surprise to see the same look on his face. A small frown etches itself on her face, and she finds herself sinking further into Tamaki's comforting arms. She cannot bring herself to look at her brother. What if he wore the same expression? Could she handle seeing the untrustful look in his eyes that she sees in adults? The group looks up and watches as the Ootori family makes their way over toward them. Kyoya locks eyes with her and she can feel him examining her facial expressions as if something would give her away.