Opportunity

"Excuse me!" A voice calls out, effectively waking me up

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"Excuse me!" A voice calls out, effectively waking me up. I groan, rolling over as the scratchy sheets of the hostel's uncomfortable beds scrape against my skin.

I peel my eyes open, needing a few seconds to adjust to the dark room. "Yeah?" I question groggily, looking up at the man hoovering above my bed.

I sit up, instinctively pulling my legs towards my chest in an attempt to shield myself from this unknown man.

"Can I use your towel? I don't have one," He whispers, eyeing my towel neatly folded on top of my backpack.

It takes me a few moments to process his request, my brain still foggy from just waking up. "Erm sorry that's my only one," I apologise, feeling slightly guilty but I don't want to share my only towel with a stranger.

He doesn't reply, straightening up from his hunched over position and backing away from my bunk. 

I pull the covers over my head, hoping that was the end of that interaction. I roll back and forth, finding it hard to fall asleep on this bed which feels similar to sleeping on a slab of granite.

I've been staying at this hostel for three months, having stayed at a different one for a month beforehand. Originally I was staying in one that was only a twenty minute drive from James's apartment, which was a huge mistake.

It didn't take him long to find me, harassing me and anyone that entered the hostel until eventually I was forced to leave. I travelled half way across the country by hitchhiking and using the little money I had left to get taxis to take me as far as they could. 

I eventually ran out of money and settled down here, a massive downgrade from the other hostel.

Saying it's unpleasant would be an understatement, the place is filled with mould, rats and not so charming characters. 

I can't complain though, I am staying here for free so I'll just have to learn how to live with the dozen other people crashing here.

I often think about crawling back to James, begging him to let me return to the familiar safety of the apartment I took for granted. However, no matter how much I want to call him I don't.

Despite everything, I am free here. I can come and go as I please, not having to worry about the impending argument or beating I'll receive for not disclosing my exact whereabouts at all times of the day.

I've made my way to Sicily and it's beautiful here, I've started appreciating things I once overlooked because I was too busy worrying about every little thing.

Now when I go out I admire the sound of the crashing waves as I walk along the sea front, the smell of the fresh food wafting from the market and the way the warm wind rustles my skirt as I travel through the city.

So although I'm barely making enough money to eat and my health is getting worse, I still feel a sense of tranquility I've never experience before. I don't have to worry about debt, a loveless marriage or my future because I no longer have one. Soon, I will be dead and I've accepted it.