09 // Blasters and Badges

March 26th, 2826

March 26th, 2826

The Halcyon
Tru, 23rd moon of Persyth, Unknown Space

The rain pattered against the exterior of the Halcyon, creating an ambient drone in the background. Desree sat in Rowan's usual spot on the couch, working on the beacon in the rec room since the lab was out of order (a.k.a. open to the outside world).

Desree bit her lip, trying to grasp the tiny screw with the screwdriver, tensing every time it slipped from its hold. Desree wanted to throw the beacon, especially when all she could hear was the stupid tapping coming from the alien, Jaze.

"Will you stop?" Desree asked, setting down the beacon. She shot an annoyed look to the man who only an hour earlier broke into her ship, whose head snapped towards her, brown eyes searching hers.

"Can't a man tap in peace?" Jaze asked, leaning over the coffee table between the two couches.

"Is it even peace?" Desree shook her head, looking back at the beacon, spinning the screwdriver between her fingers. "I can almost feel the energy coming off of you. You need to calm down."

"You need to take a chill pill, lady," Jaze scoffed as Desree raised a brow. Chill pill? Desree thought, shaking her head at him. What does that even mean? "First off, you take my blaster away. Secondly, you take away my rights as simple as tapping. What next? Will you enslave me? I'm not one who easily is pushed around."

"Depends." Desree shrugged, quickly tightening her grip on the screwdriver as she tried to twist the screw in again. And failed.

"How'd you end up here, anyway?" Jaze asked out of nowhere. Desree swiveled her chair to face him as he made his way over to the ping-pong table.

"I don't know exactly. One moment we were traveling through the Solar System when—" Desree paused as Jaze started to laugh, holding onto the ping pong table to steady himself. "What's so funny?"

"I'm sorry, but the name of your system isn't very creative. The solar system?" He wiped fake tears from his eyes, looking at her smugly. "What's your sun called?"

"The Sun. Duh."

Jaze rolled his eyes, letting his hands slide off the table. "Of course it is."

"Need I remind you that I still have your gun?" Desree pulled his gun from her belt to set it on the coffee table. "And besides, what's your sun and system called?"

"Suth." His face mellowed out as embarrassment settled on his face. He was bright red now. "In the Suth system."

"See?" Desree tilted her head to give him a look, before turning back to her work. "It's normal to name a system after its sun."

"Or name a sun after itself?" he whispered before snorting into laughter again.

"Now stop laughing so I can actually answer your question, Jaze!"