Chapter 28

"Give me your fucking phone!" Ariana yelled.

"No!" I yelled back.

"You absolutely cannot announce your retirement. You have just started your career! This is all you've ever wanted to do." She pleaded.

"It has been three fucking weeks, Ari. He's not waking up out of that coma, and I put him there. I'm never fighting again. I never want to fight again." I said.

"Baby, please don't do this. You are just going through something right now. And I don't know how it feels to be in your situation, but I know you. You love what you do. And I know you're hurting because of what happened to Carmie, but you can't quit what you love. You will be miserable." Ariana said.

"I'm gonna be miserable regardless. I fucking killed someone!" I said.

"He is not dead. You did not kill anyone. You did your job. If anything, the ref put him in a coma. He should have called the fight before the last hit." She said.

"Ari, you don't get it. I can't even leave this fucking penthouse. I can't do anything. All I can think about is Carmie's bloody face. And-And I carried him in my arms as far as I could, and I could barely even hear his breathing. It was so shallow. It was like he wasn't even a person anymore." I cried.

"I know, baby. I know. But you cannot blame yourself for this." She said.

"He has a son. Of course his name is Carmine the fifth. And now Carmine the fifth is gonna be the same way I was as a kid. He's always gonna know some asshole fucked up his father's life." I said.

"No, don't you dare compare yourself to the guy that fought your dad. He used illegal punches, right? You did everything the right way. The fight should have been called before you hit him. We can blame his trainers, his entourage, the ref, anyone. But we cannot blame you." Ariana said.

"I'm so ashamed, Ariana. I'm so ashamed. I thought that I wanted to kill him that night in Rao's after he grabbed you. I thought I was gonna do anything to make sure he never touched you again. But I was wrong. I should have listened to you. Maybe if I would have talked to him that night instead of attacking him, I wouldn't have been so angry when I fought him, and then he'd be okay." I said.

"You're spiraling, baby." She said.

Ariana tried to walk over to me, and I stepped back.

"You're not getting my phone." I said.

"You cannot fucking retire." She said.

"I have to." I told her.

Ariana ran to me, and I ran away. I bolted to the bathroom and shut the door. I locked it and stood against the door. Ariana banged loudly.

"Open the fucking door, Y/N!" She yelled.

"I'm sorry, Ariana." I cried.

I wiped my eyes, but tears continued to fall. I went to Twitter and looked at the already written retirement statement in my drafts. I clicked on it. I looked over it.

"Y/N, please open the door, baby. We can talk through this. You don't have to end your career." She said.

"No, I won't fight again." I said.

Before I could hit post, my phone rang. Suzanne, Carmie's mother, was calling. I knew he was gone. I just knew he had died. I answered it immediately and put it to my ear. I sniffled and cleared my throat. I tried to speak but nothing came out.

"Y/N?" She asked.

"Y-Yeah? Hello?" I asked.

"Y/N, Carmie has been awake for a few hours now. He wants to see you." Suzanne said.