Chapter 2

My alarm blared in my ear, and I quickly grabbed my phone. I turned it off and put my phone on the floor. I sat up and got out of bed.

I rolled onto the floor and immediately did twenty push-ups to wake myself up. When I finished, I got off of the ground and stretched. I grabbed a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt. I put them on and then a pair of socks and a jacket. I grabbed my bag and phone before leaving.

After locking up my apartment, I jogged down the stairs and started my run to Duke's gym.

It had been four days since meeting Marjorie and Joan, and I was very grateful. My routine consisted of waking up at 5:15 AM, being at the gym by 6 AM, working out until 9 AM, then going home and showering and working from 11 AM until closing at 9 PM. Then I would head over to Marjorie and Joan's house to eat dinner.

The two of them treated me like a baby. They called me constantly and made sure I was okay. They were always so nervous about me riding the bus late at night even though I was a boxer. They made sure Duke had food for me at the gym, they made sure I had food at home, they made sure I ate dinner with them. It was like having two moms here, and I didn't mind.

After running for about twenty minutes, I ran into Duke's gym. He nodded at me. I nodded back and walked to the locker room. I took my jacket off. I grabbed my wrap out of my bag and started to wrap my hands. Once I was done, I walked back out of the locker room.

"Sleep well last night?" Duke asked.

"Yeah, I did." I said.

"Good, you're gonna need that rest. I don't care if it's your birthday." He said.

"Is that your way of telling me happy birthday?" I asked.

"Nah, you'd know if I told you happy birthday." He said.

"You coming to my birthday party, unc?" I asked.

"What did you call me?" He asked as he gave a small smile.

"Unc. Like uncle." I said.

"I'm not your uncle." He said.

"You're kinda like my uncle." I said.

"I'm absolutely not like your uncle." He said.

"Like a great uncle, really. If we're going by age." I said.

"Wow, you calling me old?" He asked.

"I am calling you old." I said.

"I'm working your ass today." He said.

"You coming to my birthday dinner?" I asked him.

"Yeah, Aunt Marge is making me go." He said.

"Making you go. You know you wanna come be with me for my birthday dinner. Me, you, Joan and Marjorie is a great birthday dinner." I said.

"Sounds like hell." He said.

I heard the door open and someone walk in. I looked behind me. Edgar Berlanga walked in. I stared as he walked into the locker room.

"He comes here?" I asked Duke.

"You wanna marry him or something? Why the fuck you looking so hard for?" He asked.

"He's a great boxer. He's fucking incredible. I used to watch him fight when I was still in New York." I said.

"You think you could beat him?" Duke asked.

I looked at Duke. He had a straight face.

"I don't know...maybe." I said.

"You think you could beat Berlanga?" He asked.