~𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓣𝔀𝓸~

TARA

The airport is a whirl of bustling bodies and buzzing voices, but I'm alone in the midst of it all. My heart pounds against my ribs like a wild animal in a cage. I've just flown cross country, leaving the sanctuary of my college life that I've grown so fond of all because my mother, the woman who left me when I was only five years old, suddenly decided she wanted me to spend the summer with her.

And then there's Kohen, her new husband. Rich, young, and intimidatingly attractive.

I spot him before he sees me. He's leaning against a sleek, black car parked outside the airport. He's even more handsome than last time I saw him, with a sharp jawline and piercing blue eyes that seem to analyze everything they land on. He's older than I am, but not by much, and there's an air of sophistication and power that radiates off him.

He strides forward, a smile playing on his lips that doesn't quite reach his eyes. "Tara," he says, his voice deep and resounding. He's holding a sign that reads my name, a gesture so out of character that it makes me laugh despite my nerves.

"Kohen," I reply, trying to sound casual. He reaches out to take my suitcase, his strong hand brushing against mine. His touch sends a shiver through me, and I quickly pull my hand away.

We make our way to the car, a sleek black vehicle that screams money and power. The door is held open for me, and I slide into the leather seat, the scent of a new car filling my lungs. Kohen takes the driver's seat, and the car purrs to life.

"So," I say, breaking the silence. "How's it been, living the high life with my mom?"

Kohen chuckles, glancing at me briefly before focusing on the road. "Oh, you know, the usual. Fancy parties, extravagant vacations, and keeping up with your mother's taste."

I smirk, unable to resist teasing him. I fake cough and murmur, "Gold digger."

"Ha ha." He says casually.

"Just saying. She's older than you, and I don't know what exactly is so captivating about her because it's definitely not her personality."

He chuckles again, this time a little nervously. "Well, she keeps me on my toes, that's for sure. But age is just a number, right?"

"So is 911, but okay." I mumble.

"Okay, you got jokes." He says. "Your turn."

"What?"

"Are you dating anyone?" He asks.

"We broke up."

"Why?" He asks.

"He cheated." I answer.

Kohen shifts uncomfortably and glances at me. "He's a fool.. you're smart. And... beautiful."

His response catches me off guard. There's something in his tone, something that hints at a deeper meaning.

Is it possible that he's just joking?

The thought sends a rush of warmth through me, mingled with a tinge of apprehension. My heart beats faster, and I find myself stealing glances at him, trying to depict his intentions.

As if sensing my unspoken thoughts, Kohen turns to me. "Where did you get those?" He asks.

"Huh?" I say while raising my eyebrow.

"Bracelets." He answers.

I didn't even notice I was nervously playing with them. I have about ten handmade bracelets on my hand.

"Oh, I made them. It was just an extra credit assignment." I say to him.

"They're nice." He says.

I smile while looking down at them.

"How come I never noticed your dimples before?" He asks.

"I don't know. We mostly ignored each other before I left."

"Well, I'm on vacation for a while, and your mom is mostly out at her spa." He says.

"Spa?"

"Oh yeah. I bought her a spa two years ago. She runs it now." He explains.

I tense up. I don't want to talk about my mom.

"Look.. I don't know exactly what happened in the past with your family -"

"Did she ever mention me?" I ask while interrupting him. "Before I showed up. Did my mother ever mention me?"

Kohen frowns. "Tara -"

"Don't soften the blow, Kohen. Just tell me the truth."

Kohen sighs. "No. She never mentioned you."

"How can you love someone like that?" I ask, choking up.

Kohen looks over at me, but I don't. I just keep my eyes down.

"I'm sorry she hurt you, Tara. I guess she's trying, so I try to see that."

"Too little too late." I mumble.

We drive in silence after that. I take a deep breath, but the tension is so thick I feel like I can't breathe. Kohen places his hand on my thigh to stop my shaking leg. I didn't even notice I was doing it.

He gives my thigh a gentle but firm squeeze and doesn't look at me. I think he's actively trying not to look at me.

His thumb caresses my thigh before he removes his hand. I feel a flutter in my stomach from his touch. I don't know what to do or say, so I just sit there in silence.

~♡~

~♡~

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.