Chapter 34: White Lies

For a moment, I was confused. For a moment, I thought I misunderstood the question. Then it dawned on me.

"I wasn't targeting you." I said. "I swear- I had no idea who you were the night I met you."

"The night you met me?" Jax raised his eyebrow along with his voice. "What about all the other nights? When did you figure out who I was?"

"I-"

"The night I told you?" Jax asked, prompting himself with his hands. "Before you slept with me? Did you know who I was when you slept with me?"

I gaped like a fish, realising this was the part of the conversation I dreaded the most.

"Tell me."

"I knew." I spat out. "Before I slept with you. I figured it out when I saw your wallet. It's a sign, a line and a circle – stake and sun."

Jax laughed – a surface-level, weak laugh, "Great. That's great."

"I'm sorry-"

"No." Jax met my gaze. "I'm sorry. About all of this."

My shoulders slumped.

"I'm going to ask you one more time." He said. "Why did you target me?"

"I-"

"Odette." The way he said my name made me want to cry. "Tell me the truth."

"I wasn't targeting you." I said, trying to contain my emotions in the painful lump in my throat and the twist in my stomach. "Lucia and I stumbled upon evidence that vampire hunters exist, and I was planning to use that information to talk to my father."

Jax's brows furrowed, "So... you're really not talking to your family?"

"They're not talking to me." I corrected. "I was broke, and Lucia desperately needed the money because the doctor taking care of her blackmailed us. I was planning to get back into my father's good graces, so he'd give me back my inheritance. I could pay off the doctor, and take care of Lucia."

Understanding flashed in Jax's eyes, adding them a touch of gentleness I so desperately needed right now. He composed himself quickly.

"Did it work?"

"No." I sighed. "There are strict rules when it comes to talking to the Chief, and I needed a green light from Dorian."

"Ah." A mocking smile gripped Jax's lips. "There lies the rub."

I swallowed an iron taste on my tongue, "Dorian didn't let me talk to my father, and I figured out pretty quickly that you two didn't like each other, so I was planning on finding out why you hated him and using that against him."

Jax hummed, "I was hoping I was at least a part of some grand vampire scheme, and not just a tool in your agendas against Dorian."

"I was just trying to help Lucia, I swear."

That, at least, was the truth.

"What happened?"

"It all boiled over." I muttered. "So, I went to Dorian and told him the truth. I told him what happened to Luce, and he agreed to help."

"If he's so generous, why wouldn't he help you before?"

"He was doubting my intentions."

"Like I am now?"

Our gazes met. I didn't need to ask him to elaborate.

"I assume this ball you went to was hosted by your family."