Chapter 11: Taste of Life

I haven't been on a date in more than two years. So, when Jax called like he promised he would, I freaked out. The first thing I wanted to do was break down and cry once I realised I truly had nothing to wear.

The only time I went shopping in the past two years was a week ago when I bought the short black dress for meeting Edmond in the Lion's Den. I wanted my family to think I was doing fine without them, which was a lie if there ever was one.

But Jax had already seen me in that dress, and even though I doubted men remembered the things women wore, I still felt like shit.

I couldn't afford another dress.

So, I'd either have to suck it up or not go on the date at all. The latter wasn't an option.

I stared in the mirror, trying to decide whether the floral knee-length yellow dress screamed 'summer' way too loud to wear in the middle of January.

Probably.

But it was the only decent dress I had, and my boobs looked good in it.

Lucia was on a My Chemical Romance marathon as she searched for Sergeant Joe Bender, and I was slowly beginning to lose my mind.

Teenagers scared the living shit out of me, that much was true.

"Is this dress too summer-y?" I asked, squinting at the mirror.

I've never had an actual relationship. Being a Zaleria, I assumed my father would find someone appropriate for me, and I preferred not to get my heart broken by random boys I wouldn't have a future with anyway. A few casual flings were all that existed in my romantic inventory.

"Lucia!" I shouted.

"Ha?" She lifted her gaze.

"Is this dress too summer-y?" I repeated.

Lucia's eyes dropped back to the laptop, "He doesn't care."

"I care."

"The only thing he wants with your dress is take it off. Relax."

The giddiness her words caused quickly twisted into fear. Feelings I wasn't prepared to interpret settled in my stomach, and I found myself staring into the mirror, wondering if this was a good idea.

On the one hand, I liked Jax.

His humanity attracted me; carefreeness, recklessness, the danger of it all. One more ride on that motorbike and I might be a goner. I couldn't afford to actually fall for him, not with how much I was lying to him and how much I intended to use him.

On the other, I desperately needed to get laid.

I frowned at my reflection, realising both of those hands pointed in the same direction.

Also, my hair was a mess. The lack of blood seriously impacted my looks. The strands weren't as thick and healthy as they used to be, the once warm, chocolate colour dimmed, leaving behind a lame ashy brown. I grabbed the comb, debating whether I should just wear a ponytail.

My phone rang, displaying Jax's name.

"Yes?"

"I'm here."

The comb almost dropped from my hand.

"What? You're here?"

"Is that My Chemical Romance in the background?"

"What are you doing here?" I waved at Lucia, trying to get her to cut the music.

She didn't even look at me.