Chapter 10 Misery

Start from the beginning

"Hi, Mom," I whispered.

"Hi, honey. Did you have fun?"

I measured my day. Fun? A million miles away from it. Informing? Somewhat. But what she doesn't know won't hurt her. "I guess you could say that." But she wasn't fooled easily. Screw you eyes, I thought.

"What's wrong, baby?" Worry was clearly in her eyes and voice.

"I don't know, Mom. But I'm fine, honest. Look I'm all good." I showed her my arms and legs, assuring her I wasn't hurt. She was about to protest but I stopped her by pulling her in for a hug. "Don't worry about me. I'm gonna survive."

"Sapphire, you're scaring me. You've been so distant lately. Is something wrong? Is someone bothering you?" She kept popping of questions but I knew the answers to none of them.

I kissed her on the crown of her head. "I'm fine, Mom. But I'm really tired and I need sleep. I'll see you tomorrow." I turned to walk up the stairs to my room. And soon enough I was running to my room when I got out my mothers sight.

There was someone bothering me. Myself. And, well, the Braythwell boys. My life was just fine until they showed up and ruined it. I didn't know why they were so interested in ruining my life. It was already bad enough.

As soon as I got to my room, I locked the door. And I walked over to my oak dresser and got out an old tshirt and some grey sweatpants. I took a quick shower. It felt good to let the cold water rush over my boiling body. And it also felt good to wash the day's stench off of me.

I quickly put the sweatpants on, and I slipped the tshirt over my wet hair. There was no use in drying my hair, it would just make me burn hotter. And there was also no way that I was going to sleep. So I'm going to spend my night on the balcony until I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore.

There was a door in my room that lead to the balcony. It was used frequently by me. Anytime that I couldn't sleep I would sit outside and watch the moon and the stars. I'd also listen to the wolves howling at the moon.

When I open the door a gust of cold wind hit me. I welcomed it because it calmed me further. But I almost had a heart attack when I saw a black shadow sitting in my lounging chair. But I'd know who it was from miles away. I felt that same warmth that I'd always did when I was around that person. Not the warmth I felt when I was angry but a different warmth all together.

But the sickness I felt covered up the familiar warmth.

I immediately tensed up and stood in a defensive position. Like I was getting ready for a fight. He looked up at me with his colorful eyes and then I went numb again. I gritted my teeth.

"Lucas."

He suddenly stood up and started towards me. But I held up my hand. I didn't need him any closer to me because I might actually explode. "Stop," I demanded. He stopped straight away. Five feet was all that separated us.

"Sapphire," he began.

I shook my head and gritted my teeth harder. "Don't. Don't say anything." He tried to walk towards me again but one glare from me stopped him again. Four feet were between us now.

"Let me try to explain myself," he pleaded. His colorful eyes flashed up to mine. And I could see how truly agonizing my reaction was to him. A part of me wanted to let him explain himself.

But I didn't care.

"Where have you been, Lucas," I prodded. "Have you been getting someone else to steal people's memories? Have you? Because that's just something so normal to do," I retorted. He took another step towards me. Only 3 feet now. "Don't take another step."