15 | Teaming up with Justice

Depuis le début

She stopped her train of thought when his hand took hers, forcing her to look at him and stop just in front of the door that led into the house.

"Come out of your thoughts, Karyn. In case you're wondering, you've not done anything wrong. We are still friends and I'll always care for you, but right now, I have to process what I'm going through on my own," he said as if he'd seen through her murky thoughts.

"Fine, but if it ever feels too much, know that I'll always be here and... I care for you, too."

THE new room they sat in was on the ground floor with a rectangular conference table and five chairs. One at the head of the table where Gema sat and two on each side. Marcela and Jamie sat at Gema's right, with Marcela closer to Gema, while she and Zack sat on the left with her closer to Gema and opposite Marcela.

"Before we get to the point, whether we like it or not, we are now a team. We were one before, but our goals have changed. Then it was to find the Silverein. Now we have our Silverein, and we have two primary goals, which are to protect Ryn and find Elowen and Kara. As part of protecting her, we need to train her to protect herself.

"For us to work well, Trust should be a key factor in our relationships with one another. You can't go into the battlefield with your back turned to someone you don't trust. So, along with training Ryn and finding the missing... individuals, we need to work on ourselves and our relationships. Marcela, Jamie, and I already know how to work together. We've been doing so all our lives. Zack and Ryn are close too, but we can't let such a divide exist between us. We need to work as one and that doesn't involve being annoying to another person," Gema said with a pointed look at Jamie.

Then she added, "To set our priorities straight, the first thing on our list is finding Elowen and Kara."

"But Karyn also needs to start her training soon."

"Yes, Jamie, and that's why you would train her."

"What!" both Jamie and Karyn exclaimed.

"Bie tela interesine," Marcela muttered under her breath. [~This would be interesting.]

"I cannot train her! She's impossible!"

"How genuine, using your adjective to describe me," she mocked, but before he could say anything, Gema slammed her palms on the table.

"I cannot stress any further how important it is we work as one. Ryn, this is not some high school project we are talking about. You really want to save your sister and Elowen? Now imagine a scenario where you're the only one who can, but you have no way to use or control your powers. What would happen then?"

Karyn remained silent.

"And Jamie, you of all people know what the situation is back home and how important she is for the good of Wlerden, so how can you sit there and complain?"

Jamie bristled under Gema's harshness but held his words back.

"Both of you would work together and learn to trust each other, and that is final."

A deep breath accompanied Gema's final tone before she smiled and asked. "Is that understood?"

Unsatisfied with their nods, she asked again, "I said, is that understood?"

"Yes," they both grunted.

"Good," Gema said, with a smile that faltered when Karyn spoke.

"But I didn't say I want to be a part of this. I just want to find Elowen and Kara," Karyn said, her voice tight and hands clenched under the table.