chapter one hundred and thirty six

"Is your room always this neat?" Sawyer asks, looking around at the mostly bare walls.

"Um, kind of. It gets messy but it's never too bad. Usually it's just things out of place or put together in a messy way."

"Everything in my room is put together in a messy way. I'd be lucky if I could get it to look like this."

Sage looks at Reese. "Reese, what about you?"

"Jaemin describes my room as 'lived-in'. It's not messy but it's not super neat either. I organize sometimes when I feel like it."

"You play guitar?" Sawyer asks, looking at the instrument in the corner, leaning against the closet.

"A little bit. I'm still learning. My dad teaches me."

"My grandma tried teaching me to play piano but I suck at it. Lena is good though."

When the two look at Reese, Reese bursts out laughing. "Don't look at me. I can't relate. Which is fine, by the way."

"You sure?" Sage asks gently.

"You don't have to tell us if it's too personal but if there's anything you wanna let out, we'll listen."

"I don't mind, I don't think? I kinda forced myself not to care 'cause when I think of 'parents', I think of the people who messed up and the people I wish they were and I don't actually want it to be them. And I think, after a while, you realize there are things you're gonna miss out on. I'm happy that I have four dads, I don't really care that it's different. And my dads are clear that they love us and I think that if I wanted to experience something, they'd try to make sure I do."

"That's sweet. I'm happy you have them."

"Me too."

"Thanks. Oh, Sawyer, what was with you and Alyssa?"

"Oh, yeah. She made you quiet real fast."

"I don't think it's important."

Sage pulls Reese next to him and whispers. "Puppy eyes."

"Why me?"

"'Cause you're cute. Do it. Or seduce him."

"What?" Reese whisper-hisses, cheeks flushed red.

"You guys good?" Sawyer asks, looking at the two in amusement.

"Yes, I'm just wondering how I can-do you want a kiss on the cheek?"

"What?"

"Yes or no."

"I know what you're doing, that won't work."

Sage snorts. "I think it will."

Sawyer glares but Sage is unfazed and smiles.

"Are you scared of anything?" He asks, unintentionally changing the topic.

"Definitely. You?"

Sawyer nods. "My mom used to tell me and Lena about a monster hiding under the bed and that it would come out if we didn't go to sleep. But when Lena got older, she stopped being scared so I asked her if it was real and she said no. But I did make her stay with me a couple times."

"That's cute. Did she mind?"

"I don't know actually. She never told me no."

"At the orphanage, the older kids would try to scare the younger kids but there was always those who told us they were lying. I wasn't scared of anything they said, I was more scared of being alone."

"I don't like being alone either", Sage says. "I always have something as background noise if I am alone. I'm really clingy to my parents though."

"I'm the same with mine." Reese turns to Sawyer, smiling. "Also, Sawyer, I believe we asked you something."