Chapter Ten

Victoria's chest heaved heavily as she drew in a deep breath and straightened her back. Her mask concealed her face, but her eyes hardened and narrowed as she stood facing the masked man. She parted her legs and stood tall, bracing herself in front of the enemy. She refused to hesitate or waver. The man didn't verbally respond to Victoria's threat, but she observed the slight flinch in his shoulders, causing her lips to curl in a slight smirk.

The man charged ahead. He charged ahead with swift and agile movement and raised his fist to hit her on the ribs. Victoria predicted his movements, so she shifted her body, jumping back. His fist barely contacted her. He simply had skimmed her arm, but because of the force he used, his body had lunged forward, making him lose balance. Fortunately for the masked man, he was skilled enough to keep his balance by quickening his steps forward. While he was regaining his composure, Victoria was analysing his movements. Her gaze darted over the man's back as she tried to identify his weaknesses.

Victoria detected that the man had professional training. Although he wasn't the most skilled, he wasn't an amateur either. She was fortunate enough that she was better trained than that man and that he had underestimated her abilities. Victoria was quick to kick her leg out, aiming for the back of his left knee. She may not have the physical strength that he has, but she was far more ruthless and strategic in her attacks. Her kick knocked him to the ground. He landed on the other knee, letting out a muffled groan.

It was during this opening that Victoria swiftly brought her stretched leg down and made her way to the back of the man that was on his knee. After placing her hands on his neck, she twisted with a quick force, snapping his neck. The crack was deafening, and it reverberated across the terrace, causing her to shudder. Her eyes hardened as she looked at the men who were laying aimlessly on the ground. It was then that she flipped the man's body and stretched out her hand to reach for his mask. She wanted to peel off his mask and see the face of the man who was brave enough to go against the Barone family.

BANG.

Victoria's eyes darted to the direction of where the gunshot came from. The doors of the terrace swung open. As she approached the main hall, the sounds of women screaming and men shouting grew louder. It was then that another gunshot rang out, that Victoria quickened her steps. The doors burst open, and a swarm of well-dressed women spilled out, scrambling to escape the danger. Victoria's heart raced as she ran towards the danger, feeling the jostle of people pushing past her without a second thought.

As she reached the ballroom, there were the same masked men dotted about where the exits were. They were all dressed in the same attire as the ones she fought on the terrace. Her eyes noted they turned tables on their sides, while the men were ushering women to hide behind them. Victoria glared, her eyes shifting across the room, trying to locate her brother. He was where the string quartet was while he was fighting one of the masked men, trying to disarm him of his gun.

She noticed that the doors where she exited were the only ones that were not manned by the masked men. She noted that there were some females that were shakily hiding behind the table. Victoria ran in their directions, joining them behind the table that was tipped on its side. She crouched down placed her back against the smooth table surface. The red-haired women let out a small whimper and flinched as she didn't realise that Victoria was an ally.

"Shhh." Victoria's voice was soft as she placed her index finger to her lips. The woman let out a muffled sob as she brought her hands to her mouth.

"It's going to be alright." She reassured. She jutted her head toward the doors where she came from. The woman's eyes widened in fear. "I need you to dash to that door, it's safe there. Follow the other women when you get outside. There will be men there that will know what to do."