Chapter Nine

The air was humid that it was almost as suffocating as the company at the ball, but the breeze was crisp that it refreshed Victoria. She was gazing out onto the horizon of Venice. The beauty of Italy was exquisite that she could not help but let out a sigh of contentment as she leaned on the stone balustrades.

"Beautiful evening, isn't it?" A husky voice came from behind. His accent was British and as she stared at the man behind her. She noticed his slicked-back blonde hair, but his face remained hidden. The detailed Celtic pattern adorned the mystery man's mask. The complex design was a mix of golds and silvers, but Victoria's knowledge of mythology helped her identify its origin.

"Indeed, it is." Victoria hummed in response. She gently tapped her fingertips on the stone.

"I do not believe we have met before." The man bowed his gently. "I didn't mean to intrude. It was a little hot in there. I can't say I am used to the Italian weather."

"This is my first time attending the ball, but many of the people I have met or conversed with in some form or manner." Victoria's red lips curved slightly. Her eyes seemed to twinkle in the light humming glow of the moon.

Although the man's face was hidden behind the mask, he smiled, mirroring hers. "The name Derek, I am from a British syndicate." He bowed his head in respect.

"Ah, so you're the man that was invited by Achilles." She nodded her head. "I heard what you did for him. Clever and brave. Indeed, you earned your place amongst us," Victoria complimented.

"Er, how do you know about that? Few people know about my involvement." He said in a puzzled tone.

"Ah, I see. I didn't expect you to be so misogynistic." Victoria tutted disapprovingly.

"I am anything but that, Miss Barone. I value women amongst my men. If there were no woman, where would there be a mother? Where would there be men? I was just simply surprised that you were aware of the inner dealings of the business." he was quick to refute her claims.

"Very well spoken. I may be a woman, but I am no fool. I listen while the men speak amongst themselves." Victoria said with a smile still curved on her lips.

"I wouldn't expect anything less from a Barone. Whether they be male or female." Derek teased as he approached the space on her right. He perched himself on the wall as he crossed his arms.

"Tsk. For a smart man, you make stupid moves." Victoria's voice was thick with an Italian accent.

Confusion filled Derek's voice as he spoke. "What do you mean?"

"Well, simply put. You are easy to kill." Her voice was crisp.

"But the enemies are in the ballroom." He countered.

"Are they?" She teased. "Is an enemy the one you can see, or are they the one that is hidden?" She looked at his eyes to see that they were heavy with confusion. She sighed. "This is Italy. The enemies that you speak of are not in a place to attack. They wouldn't dream of it." She nodded her head to the landscape behind him. "The enemies that lay there are the most dangerous. They are the ones that we underestimate. For they are the people that would stab you in the back when you aren't looking. You have your back to the entire world while you stand here with the principessa of the most powerful mafia."

There was a heavy silence that was soon interrupted by the bellowed laughter of Derek. He shook his head. "No wonder Achilles is in love with you. Not only are you a beauty, but you are smart, too." He lifted his hand, extending his finger to tap his head.

He jumped down from the stone balustrades and stared out into the landscape alongside Victoria. Derek did not the opportunity to spend much time in Italy, but he could not deny the beauty of such a country. The place was decadent; the buildings were old, but filled with history. He imagined that each building had its own story. Derek cast a brief, furtive glance in Victoria's direction. The more he looked, the more he appreciated her words. She was an extraordinary woman. He could see the slight furrow in her brow as her eyes peered out into the distance. Something in the distance caught Victoria's attention, and he couldn't discern what it was as something fixed her eyes. He shook his head, not wanting to interrupt her any further.

"It was an honour speaking with you, Miss Barone." He quickly bowed. "I hope to have the pleasure of speaking with you again." He didn't wait for her reply. He simply turned around and walked back into the ballroom.

____________________

Victoria couldn't help but feel goosebumps linger on her skin. The bumps were exceedingly increasing. Victoria had felt this feeling many years ago, but she could not put her thumb on it. The music lingering in the background was quiet and faint. She took a deep sigh and turned around. Six tall and muscular figures, dressed in black with white masks, were standing behind her with bright white LED lights around them. It was then she realized the doors to the terrace had been closed.

"Clever." She hummed. Victoria's eyes dotted across the intimidating figures. She knew they were wearing masks to avoid detection, and she knew that tonight was the opportune moment to launch an assault on the Barone family. Victoria's memory was impeccable, but she just could not work out who these people were. There was nothing on them or noticeable that would show their identities. Victoria had already guessed that the people here were assassins. She just didn't know who had hired them or what they were planning to do.

"Come with us." The robotic voice echoed through the night. "Or we will take you by force. Choose wisely."

Victoria bent down in a cowardly way. Her body shaking as she looked at the people in front of her. She slowly glided her hand up her leg and pulled out one dagger that was attached to her thigh. Before they could take a step in her direction, she threw the blade with a shift flick of her wrist and struck the man that was in the middle. The dagger went straight into his chest, a little to the left. When Victoria took her shot, she didn't hesitate. She wanted to kill. The man clutched his chest before landing on his front.

"I don't think I'll be going anywhere with you boys." She warned as he straightened her back.

 The five figures quickly honed in on her movements, all approaching her from every angle. She could tell that even though their movements were precise and in sync, they hastened their steps. They underestimated her, which only added to her advantage.

A hand quickly reached out and grasped her shoulder in a firm and deathly grip. Victoria grasped their wrist and used her body weight to pull him over body and throw him over her shoulder, aiming at the other men that her quick to approach her. She stuck out her leg and kicked the remaining man with her heel. What the man didn't expect was that her heel was sharp. It was a part of the design for her outfit for tonight. Victoria was a woman who planned for the worst. Her heel was quick to push into the body. It rewarded her with a robotic cry of anguish, which only brought a smile to her lips.

There was not a slither of fear in her eyes or heart. Victoria laughed at the audacity of someone attempting to kidnap her, but it was a common mistake to underestimate her. The four men on the floor were shoving and pushing one another, trying to release themselves, only to become inconsistent with their movements. They were expecting Victoria to be an easy catch, not realising she was just as deadly as the most dangerous mafia leader.

They scrambled to their feet, taking deep breaths. They regrouped and resumed their offensive stance. All of them raised their hands, aiming to maim the woman who dared challenge them. She raised her forearms, blocking two of the attacks coming in her direction. However, even though she had the skill, she was still outnumbered, so she quickly felt the jab to her ribs. She heard the crack and knew that he had broken out of her ribs.

Although the man's face was hidden, he couldn't conceal his resentment and anger towards the woman who had killed two of his brothers. His surprise was that she didn't even flinch when he broke her rib. He wondered what kind of woman would be immune to that type of pain, for the woman seemed to revel in his attack. This only frustrated him more.

After Victoria successfully blocked his attack, she quickly punched them where she knew it would hurt their groin. She noticed both recoiled. She smiled when she found out that the masked figures were men. Before they could regain their footing, she knocked them both in the head, both falling to the floor in a pitiful state. It was then that her eyes hardened as she turned to the man who broke her rib.

"So we can do this the easy way or the hard way. Your choice." She snapped. Her eyes were cold as ice. But the man merely ignored her and continued his attack without a whisper.