Chapter Five

The syndicate distributed their annual invitations to the ball in the first few weeks of January. There was nothing unusual about the invitations someone decorated them extravagantly. The calligraphy was intricate. The ball was something that backdated generations back. It was an opportunity for some of the greatest criminal organisations to congregate and discuss opportunities. It was a chance for criminal organisations to strengthen their international ties. The Barone family had been hosting the event since its origins.

"Yes. We are attending. It has been some years since we were last invited. We surpassed some of the competition this year." Derek voiced through the receiver of the telephone. There, burning away, was a half-smoked cigarette. Derek nodded towards Alec for him to take one of the occupied seats.

"Yes, send the best ten we have. They will arrive in Italy a week before me and my brother. Make sure they know what is at stake." Derek nodded and told him he would call them later.

"Ahhh Brother!" Derek said in an enthused voice as he greedily rubbed his hands together. "You're here for the good news. They have invited us to this year's syndicate ball."

"The syndicate what?" Alec blurted out.

"Ahh, I suppose you have never heard of it. The syndicate ball was something that brought together the best of the criminal organisation. It gives us an opportunity to meet and barter. Grandfather was once fortunate to attend with a friend. This is the first time they have invited our family!" Derek spoke with joy. "Father and grandfather would be proud." He sighed as he stared into the background.

"You will attend the ball by my side. My brother, you are also responsible for the success of the family." Derek patted his brother on the shoulders firmly. "I never thought we would reach this point, brother." Derek said with a sense of disbelief running through his voice.

"Who else is attending this ball?" Alec quizzed as he leaned into the office chair.

"There will be three families from the UK attending. Patrick Cumming and Benedict Ward will attend with their wives." Derek explained. Alec gave him a curt nod. Alec knew that Cumming and Ward both held the two largest mafia in England. Both men were formidable opponents, but fortunately, the brothers had no bad blood with either family. With so many mafia syndicate's meeting, it only increased tensions between enemies and strengthened ties with allies.

"The aim of our attendance?" Alec replied.

"To establish our family name, to meet contacts and maybe even find a marriage alliance." Derek wiggled his brows.

"I hope that alliance is for you, brother. You know I will not marry." Alec curtly responded.

"Who are the people we should keep our eye on?" Alec broke the heavy silence with a question.

"The Barone family will be the people we want to meet. They are legendary and revolutionary in our business. The Italians are formidable. It would be right for us to be wary of them." Derek replied as he stroked his chin.

The Barone family was a well-established family. There was a lot of information on their history, but in terms of their current Mafia, there was very little knowledge out there. Alec knew that someone had successfully assassinated the head of the Barone family many years ago. There were strong whispers the family would fall. However, that's all that they were - rumours. The family only became stronger. It was a shock to most syndicates that the family had withdrawn their support for the trafficking business. Many of the competitors were picking up the business the Barone family was throwing away.

Derek was keen to pick up on the business that was thrown away, but Alec was smart. He said why would they pick up something that Italians clearly did not want. Alec investigated their movements and noticed that they were investing in technology. He believed they were smart, thinking far forward into the future. Alec encouraged Derek to follow in their footsteps. They utilised their remaining budget to invest in the technological sector, but also in the financial sector.