L U C Y

I'm in the varsity gym, getting in my mandatory training hours when a group of girls step in, all of them looking hungover and pale except for their queen in the middle. They're quieter than usual this early in the morning, most of the sounds escaping them are groans as they line up on the treadmills, filling almost all of them.

Christina is dressed surprisingly in an oversized Barbie pink shirt and I'm guessing a short pair of shorts underneath because they're hidden underneath the top. I look down at myself, sweaty and breathing heavily after having already been here for an hour but I don't allow myself to feel self-conscious. I've done enough of that when it comes to her.

By the time I'm done with my weight training, the girls are thankfully moving away from the cardio section where I need to go next. I claim a treadmill for myself and warm up on a low setting. The air was brisk on my way here and I'd worn a thin, zip-up long-sleeve but now that I'm warm, I strip that off, throwing it on the floor beside me.

With perfect timing, Christina steps in front of my machine to grab a cloth to wipe hers down and we make eye contact. My eyes widen when hers momentarily drop down and I can't help but look at myself to see what she sees. The bare skin of my upper body is glistening with sweat, my chest completely covered by a tight white sports bra that leaves me looking like a little boy to my own eyes.

"I've since showered. Nothing to see here," I say, unable to help myself, referring to the night I last saw her at the party. She blinks up at me with a raised eyebrow, looking slightly impressed by my ability to call her out on her glaring.

"I don't know about that..." She says before walking away with a smile on her face. My eyebrows furrow in confusion and I almost trip, having to decrease the speed of the treadmill as long as my eyes are on her. What did she mean by that?

"It sounds like she's flirting with you..." Reed says quietly as she stuffs her face with mashed potatoes from the cafeteria. I've barely eaten anything, my mind too preoccupied with this morning's encounter with satan.

"That's idiotic."

"Does that make you uncomfortable?" Reed asks curiously and I slowly meet her gaze.

"Only because I don't like her," I mumble and Reed purses her lips.

"What if you did? What if you two had no history, and you were just...strangers." She says and I imagine the same scenarios happening, but the thought makes my heart race.

"You sound like you know something," I say, narrowing my eyes with a smile. She's making this too easy.

"I don't know anything until you tell me..." She plays dumb. That only makes my smile grow bigger.

"Well, your boyfriend already knows so I might as well tell you too," I say and she gasps.

"You came out to Farris before me?" She says quietly, her eyes widening as she catches her slip-up. "I mean. Out with this secret of yours."

I roll my eyes. "I like girls. I know you know already. What gave it away? Because I know Charlie and Fare wouldn't tell you," I say, curious more than anything.

Now it's her turn to look at me like I'm stupid. "Um, the fact that you talk about Chris like...all the time."

"But that's because I don't like her," I defend.

"Right. But thin line and all that. I know you think she's hot. Because she totally is." She goes back to eating and I watch her, amused.

"Just because she's hot doesn't mean I like her romantically."