t w e n t y - t h r e e ♪

wow i'm on a roll.

 friday morning i sit with my legs crossed in my comfy office chair, sipping a hot latte as i watch the sun rise above the skyscrapers

i only have a few minutes before i need to go double check that mr ward is actually going to leave for his dentist appointment. i hate feeling like i have to force him into it but i watched my father go through getting a root canal and it is not something i would wish upon anyone.

once my coffee is finished i begin making my to-do list for the day based on what mr ward has scheduled. because of his dentist appointment, i had to reschedule a few meetings and deadlines but i haven't made that aware to him as i'm pretty sure that would just be another reason not to go.

my phone rings and i pick it up on the second one, "mr ward's office, this is symphony."

"hello." a female voice cuts through the
other end and i pause from my task when she says, "i believe we've met. my name is crystal, i was at the gorgeous gala you put together recently."

"hello, how can i help you?" i ask, trying
to wrack my brain to remember everyone i spoke to that night. there were a lot of people there.

"i was just wondering if you could patch me through to jared? my father is on his board of executors and i just have a few questions for him."

ohhh this must the woman mr ward was avoiding on the dance floor. "alright, would you mind holding while i check if he's available?" i ask her.

"certainly." her voice is low and melodic sort of like an old movie star.

i sign as i punch in his extension and hold the phone to my ear. he picks up after only one ring, "hello, miss harris."

"hi." i speak, slowly, "there's a crystal on line one for you? i'm just wondering if you like me to tell her you're busy."

"do you mean to ask if i am busy or to inquire as to if i'd like you to tell her i'm busy?" his deep voice reaches my ear in a knowing tone.

i smile slightly. i can't help but find this a little amusing; a woman chasing after him because her father is "on the board." it's like a movie plot or something. "the latter, sir." i speak honestly.

"yes please, thank you." his fast reply takes me a aback and i can't hold back the laugh that escapes me.

i clear my throat, "sorry. i'll let her know." my hand lowers the phone back to its resting place with a click before i pick it up again and click line one.