t w e n t y - o n e ♪

hi friends. yes, it's really me...after a year of no updates. guess what! i had a baby! i hope that helps in understanding why it's been a while since i've updated haha. i'm so happy to be back :)

 the rest of the walk was surprisingly nice

the rest of the walk was surprisingly nice. we passed several musicians playing on the street and i even saw mr ward toss a twenty into a saxophonist's case. i wasn't surprised per say just...quietly appreciative that i was able to witness him exercise generosity. maybe he's more of a philanthropist than lillian thought.

the ginormous, but luckily not as intimidating as it used to be, ward building is in sight when i almost stop in my tracks at, "so that barista had a thing for you, huh?" his voice is almost as flat as it usually is but i don't miss the small hint of humor in his tone.

now it's my turn to be without a response, a small laugh emitting from my lips before i can stop it. "i don't know." i finally say.

"it seemed he was about to ask for your number." he shrugs, hands in his pocket.

i want to ask the painfully obvious question of why on God's green earth do you care, but i decide it's safer to just go with it and not make things weird again. "well..." i pause. maybe he would have if you didn't pull a power move and pull me out of the cafe. "i guess we'll never know." i give him a cop out answer instead of speaking my mind.

"maybe next time." he clears his throat, taking a sip of his latte, "this is actually pretty good by the way."

my heart warms a little thinking about how stiff he was in the beginning about his morning coffee order and seeing his difference in attitude now. "it is, isn't it? i try to try out new things especially when going to a shop i've never been to."

"i suppose i could do that more often." mr ward replies as we stop in front of the company doors, a doorman rushing to open the door for him.

"i suppose we all could be more open to trying new things. because sometimes the old just doesn't work anymore." i smile, a brief memory of his conversation with the chairman i overheard at the gala crossing my mind.

his gaze catches mine for a moment just as the door swings open and i could swear i spotted something akin to a smile on his lips, "you know, miss harris, i have to agree."

                                      ☆   ☆   ☆

"and he just let it go?" lillian's voice rings loudly on speakerphone as i stir some cooking pasta on the stove.

i shrug, "sure if you call accepting my extremely long winded apology letting it go."

her laugh makes me smile, my heart aching with how much i miss her. "well i'm glad things worked out. man...that sounds so awful. and awkward." i snort at this, picking up a can of pasta sauce and twisting the lid.