old friends, new beginnings

Jim's POV

i was in my room, lying on the bed staring at the ceiling.  listening to the muffled voices of my mother and Stickler as they shared stories of their lives. it was calming, better than the silence. It's been a few days since i sent Toby to find the amulet, I'm sure i'll be getting a call from him soon as he rants over the phone about what he found out. i scored the part as Romeo in the play and got Claires attention in the process as planned. Everyone was back, alive, and safe. but i cant help but feel something is missing. i pushed the feeling aside thinking it was just because i was still trying to get used to everything again. 

"Jimbo? come in Jimbo!" my walkie talkie sounded with my best friends voice. he sounded in shock and a hint of excitement, so i could only guess what his next words were going to be.

" hey Tobes, what's up?" i said as i picked up the black voice box. trying to sound as clueless as possible, which I have the play to thank for the acting skills.

" dude, you're never going to believe what i found on the way home today!" Toby started on his rant but stopped short. " actually, can you come over? i feel like this would be a better story in person."  i laughed a little remembering how i was the first time around and completely understanding Toby's request.

" sure thing, but what's this all about?" i questioned, playing into the act.

"I'll tell you when you get here, see you soon!" he quickly replied trying to get me over asap. as the com went dead, i got out of the pajamas i was in and traded them for actual cloths. i grabbed my phone, stuck it in my pocket and headed for the front door. going over to Toby's house late at night wasn't a rare occurrence, plus it was a Friday night, so there was no need for me to sneak out when i could just tell my mom where i was going. 

when i got downstairs, i yelled out to mom that i was going over to Toby's. the only response i got was 'have fun' and with that I walked out the door and across the street. i didn't even have time to knock before Tobes yanked open the door and dragged me inside and up to his room by the arm. while we rushed by, his nana looked at us so i gave a small wave and smile to be nice. to which she mirrored. Toby practically threw me into his room and promptly shut the door. 

"ok," he breathed, turning around to face me as i gave my best impression of a confused puppy. "this is going to sound crazy, but i promise you it's 100% true, and i know you're not going to believe me in the slightest but I'm not insane-" when he started to say words so fast i didn't think had spaces between them, i grabbed his shoulders so his eyes would stop darting around the room and land on me.

" Tobes, breath! whatever this is about, I'll believe you. just talk slower so i can understand you." giving him a small chuckle at the end. 

"really?" he asked with a look of surprise and hope. i smiled and gave him a firm nod. with that, he took a deep breath as i let go of him and continued. " so i took the canals, like you told me to after school a couple days back and i came across this pile of k-spar, which I thought was weird. so i went over to check it out when something called my name. That's when i found this clock thing-" he rambled as he pulled out the amulet i got to know all to well.

" i think that's an amulet." I stated, trying to correct his mistake without causing suspicion.

" amulet, whatever." he said as he brushed off my interruption "i found this and later that night, these two guys made of stone showed up. one had like a bajillion eyes. and the other one was huge." he exclaimed as he threw his arms above his head to mock ARRRGGH's size. i was sitting on his bed just listening to my best friend. " they said they were trolls and that i was the new troll fighter, or something. i don't remember what happened next because I passed out." he trailed off only to snap back, grab my arms and start shaking me "Jimbo, you gotta believe me. I'm not crazy." he cried. i held onto his shoulders as i pushed him back at arms length just to get him to stop shaking me.