The Human Friends

~(Y/N)'s POV~

I blinked, registering the information Cole had just spilled onto me so casually. The first thing wasn't wondering how he would spill the beans to my friends on accident, but that wasn't what I said. "The second one wasn't even a question, dude." Cole chuckled, walking over and ruffling my hair, very gently. "Yeah, you're okay. Still a smartass." I smiled and shrugged. "What can I say? It's part of my natural charm." We smiled and just shared a nice moment before Nightmare cleared his throat.

We both turned to look at him as he crossed his arms. He seemed a bit nervous, but nonetheless projected his very attractive confident attitude. "So, your high-school friends are here? Dani, Davin, Jaxin, and Zain?" I was somewhat impressed he remembered their names- I mean, it was kinda hot too but we don't talk about that gay shit. "Yeah- I mean, Zain was racist last time we talked sooo-" "Oh you sweet baby, (Y/N). You're gonna flip your shit," Cole said, smiling. I know that smile. Gossip. "Yes, oh dear stepdad?" "Zain's dating a monster. Well, not dating, but you know...'talking'." I gasped dramatically, a hand over my chest. "No!" "Yes! And she's adorable!"

Before we could continue our gossip, my mother cleared her throat. Her voice was quieter and held less contempt, though it still wasn't anything nice. "Are you going to greet them or are you just going to laze around?" "Nah ah ah, Vicky. I need the story behind this little cutie," Cole said, gesturing to Dolly. "Ah, that's my daughter. Adopted, of course. Her name is Dolly, though I plan on changing it...the name is still undecided however. I'm open to suggestions." "Ooh, I have one, brother!" "No." "But you said-" "Shut." "But I-" "Shut-" Dream pouted and gave up, crossing his arms.

"Now that this adorable mystery has been solved, are you ready to say hi to my new best friend and her friends?" I gasped dramatically again, fighting a smile. "You stole my dear Dani from me?!" "Youuuuuu left!" I pouted for a whole three seconds before snorting and chuckling, Cole doing about the same. "Yeahhh, bring 'em in, old man." "Old man? I'm 38, damn you-" Cole nonetheless walked over to my mom and whispered something to her. He waved to Nightmare and Dream before leaving. My mom stood silently before speaking, her voice quiet still, but more solemn. "I...I'm sorry, (Y/N)..." Those were her only words before she left.

Nightmare was immediately apologizing frantically for going off on her, but I could only laugh much to his confusion. "Don't worry about it, hot stuff. She's an ass and you really got her to shut up. Couldn't be happier! Well, unless I had a slushie, but...you know." "Ooh, I can go get one from the food court for you! Besides, your family is weird- no offense." "None taken, Dream. Thanks...can you get my a suicide?" "A what?!" Nightmare was just as shocked. I could only start laughing. "No no no- it's when you mix all the flavors! I want Cherry, Coke, and Blue Raspberry- in the biiiiiiggest size!"

Dream nodded and smiled, still somewhat off put if his expression was any indicator. He snapped his fingers and teleported away, once again leaving me, my boyfriend, and his daughter alone. "I...Do you think he likes me? Your stepfather?" I chuckled, rolling his eyes. "No shit, Night. And you really shouldn't worry about his approval- or my mom's. Our relationship shouldn't rely on their permission or acceptance or whatever." He looked like he wanted to talk, but kept quiet. Moments later, there was a quick knock.

"Come in?" I half-asked, curious as to which friend it was, or if it was the doctor. My semi-question was soon answered as Dani ran in, tears in her dark green eyes. "(Y/N!)" She quickly hugged me, her dirty blonde hair in a ponytail. I patted her head, smiling calmly. "Heya Dani, what's up, shortie?" She pulled back to smile, wiping her tears on the sleeve of her white hoodie. "Your stepdad ended up telling me what happened- you got stabbed?" I nodded, shrugging. "Hey, now I know what it feels like." She rolled her eyes, smiling bright.

She then turned to Nightmare and waved. "Hey Nightmare! I saw Killer and Dust out there already, so I know how they're doing- what about you? Are you good?" Nightmare smiled, waving his hand dismissively. "I'm not the one who got stabbed, Dani. But yes, I am good. Are you?" "A little panicked, honestly!" She smiled, giggling a little. Dolly stirred in my lap, so Nightmare quickly picked her up and held her like a baby. It was super cute. "Ooh, is that your niece or something, Nightmare?" "My daughter, actually. Adopted."

"Why do you keep bringing up that she's adopted, Night?" "So no one thinks I have been previously involved romantically with a human, (Y/N)." I nodded. It didn't really make sense, but Nightmare rarely makes sense. Davin and Jaxin were the next in the room, both similarly panicked as Dani. They had a pretty similar reaction to Cross- non-stop asking questions. They eventually went quiet to gauge my reaction. "You two are fucking nerds, you know that?" Their smiles slowly returned, but Jaxin scoffed. "Nerd? Nah, I'm the captain of the football team now."

"Holy shit, seriously?" "Yeah. But Davin over here? Psh- still a nerd." Davin rolled his eyes and elbowed Jaxin. "I'm still the debate team captain, but I'm now also the head of the student government." I clapped my hands with a little smile. "Look at you two, all grown up! Enough to make a grown man cry- unless that grown man is Nightmare, in which case he'll just pretend to care." Upon mentioning Nightmare, and glancing at him, both teens turned to the dark King. Nightmare just smiled and held his daughter, which seemed to soften both their expressions.

"It's nice to see you both again. And despite (Y/N)'s attempt at humor-" "Rude-" "It's very lovely that the two of you have gone on to succeed in your senior year." "Oh- thanks dude," Jaxin said, smiling and nodding his head a little in acknowledgement. Davin nodded as well, preferring to not speak. Zain was the last to come in. His eyes immediately locked on Nightmare, but he came over to check on me a little. Then, he turned back to Nightmare. And stared for a bit. "Hey, uh...sorry. About all that shit at the amusement park..." "Don't be sorry, Zain. I've long since forgiven you."

He smiled and let a breath out in relief. We spent some time catching up and talking, the mood light and joyful. Zain was indeed "talking" to a monster girl, as Cole said. Dani had gotten a part-time job at a local bakery as well as a part-time job at the movie theater. Davin just got his uniform to work part-time at the local library. Zain was on a sports scholarship at college, though he admitted Jaxin helped him out with his ENC1101 class. Nightmare and I announced our relationship, much to Dani's delight. All that said? It was nice to catch up. We promised to do it again this weekend. I really missed them.

And that written, these chapters were back to back! Well, this one and the last one. I'm scheduling this one to publish at noon today, but it WAS written right after. And yes, I am proud of myself for doing that. <3

Date: 7/24/23 05:57

Word Count: 1249