Chapter VI - The Anomaly

Timeline: 31st October, 2012

Word Count ~ 2.5k

Something was watching False.

A benefit of being well practiced in the ways of combat was that False was particularly acute when it came to noticing things like this. She had a way of knowing when something was coming from behind her, and as difficult as it was to explain, it had yet to let her down.

She waited for a moment, listening for the sound of a sword being unsheathed or the hiss of an approaching creeper in case she'd have to draw a weapon of her own. But when False heard nothing, not even footsteps in the grass, she was confused. Turning around, she was left even more confused when she saw nothing behind her.

She frowned. Something had definitely been there, and it was still out there somewhere, watching her. Suddenly unnerved, False went back to the others, concerned for their safety. She had quickly warmed up to BDubs and TFC within a few weeks, but False hadn't gone soft. She was now determined to protect them just as she protected Xisuma. 

"Guys? Something's watching us, from the outskirts of the forest." She warned, keeping an eye on the distant trees in case it decided to show its face. "I can't tell if it's a person or a mob, but I think it could be dangerous."

"What did it look like?" Xisuma asked, putting down the wooden planks he'd been carrying. "Surely it's not another person... you said it yourself, people almost never travel through these parts."

"I didn't see it." False replied. "But I know it's there, and I don't want it coming any closer."

Xisuma frowned, slightly concerned for False. This wasn't the first time she'd become paranoid about a seemingly nonexistent threat, and she never let herself rest if she thought danger might be impending. She was causing herself stress for no apparent reason, and as much as Xisuma appreciated her determination to keep their little group safe, she probably needed reassurance. 

"False, you know how much it means to us that you want to look after us, but if you didn't see anything, I don't think you need to worry about it. It might make you feel better to keep guard all the time, but we'll be safe, I promise."

False paid close attention to how Xisuma subconsciously glanced at the scars he'd been left with from when she'd found him back in April. Maybe she would have listened, and maybe she would have even followed his advice, but it was the scars that made her remain stubborn. Something out there wanted Xisuma dead, and whatever it was, she wasn't going to let it harm him ever again.

"I need you to trust me Xisuma, I'm certain that something is out there." She countered. "I'll be fine, I swear, but I'd never forgive myself if I let my guard slip and something hurt you guys. We're better safe than sorry."

Xisuma was seemingly about to speak again, but before he could say another word he was cut off by a sudden coughing spasm. Alarmed, False rushed to his side just seconds before he collapsed into her arms. Carefully she helped him sit down, until his coughing subsided and he was able to breathe again.

If anything, the spasms worried False more than whatever was out there watching them. They'd started a week or two after TFC and BDubs arrived, and had steadily worsened in the months since. She knew Xisuma was trying to hide them, but as they grew more frequent and painful, they became harder to conceal from the others. False had even begun to see blood around his mouth sometimes.

"Are you alright?" False asked. "Do you want water, or-"

"I'm fine." Xisuma interrupted, attempting to stand up again. False didn't try to argue with him, knowing from past experience that there was no use. Surprisingly, Xisuma was even more stubborn than she was. "I think I'm gonna go inside for a while..."