Chapter Twenty-Seven

The Presidential box was incredible. Plush, comfortable chairs were set out for them with a perfect view of the entire theatre, the other furniture fixings ornate and gold with such astounding carved precision. Going straight to the edge of the balcony, Anna leaned over to take in the people below. She couldn't see her parents, but the general hubbub seemed quiet and far away from her. Low lights illuminated the stage, the deep red velvet curtain still sweeping down to cover the set behind it.

'This is incredible,' she breathed as Hans joined her, peering over the edge.

'I quite agree. I've never fully become accustomed to it.' His hand sat between her shoulder blades, as though to steady her as she teetered on the edge. 'There's a private bar with a balcony up here somewhere too.'

Anna glanced at him, watching as hi eyes roved the crowd. 'You have access to a private bar and yet you came to the main one where it was busy?'

Smiling, Hans inclined his head to look at her. 'I prefer the atmosphere of the main bar. But, if you'd like, we could visit the private bar in the interval and compare?'

'I'd like that,' said Anna, leaning into his hand a little more on instinct. 'And I'm certainly very glad you came down to the main bar.'

Still smiling, Hans guided Anna to her seat. 'Would you like another drink? I can have something brought here?'

'Champagne please. If it's not too much trouble.'

'No trouble at all.' Hans leant towards the attendant and conferred with him quietly.

Anna looked on the small table beside her and picked up the opera glasses. They were an interesting contraption, made of beautifully crafted brass. She put them up to her eyes, giggling at the sheer absurdity of such an object. She could certainly see the stage a lot better now, but she felt ridiculous.

Hans chuckled beside her and Anna swung around to look at him.

'How do I look?' she asked.

'Marvellous,' he replied, taking them as Anna handed them to him. He put them to his eyes. 'And me?'

'Transcendent,' laughed Anna.

They set the glasses aside as an attendant brought them the bottle of champagne. He'd chosen Laurent-Perrier, whatever that was. Anna only knew she liked Dom Perignon because Mathias had mentioned the name. Past that, she just liked anything with bubbles. Her heart hammered in her chest as the drinks were poured. She suddenly worried Hans would think her silly for not knowing anything about it when she'd asked for it. How childish she must seem.

'Prost,' she said, taking her glass and clinking it to his.

'Prost.'

They each took a sip, Anna enjoying the citrusy undertones.

'I confess I don't know anything about champagne,' said Hans before he took another sip. 'But this is delightful.'

Letting out a long breath, Anna's heart swelled. It was almost as if he could sense her trepidation and knew exactly what to say. 'Neither do I. I just like the bubbles.'

'As do I,' agreed Hans. 'Not that I drink it all that much. I'm a cognac man through and through.'

'I've only tried cognac the once, and it really wasn't to my taste,' said Anna, settling into the soft cushions of her seat.

'Do you know which one? Some of them are truly terrible.'

Anna thought back to Krause's office and the bottle he'd pulled from his drawer. 'I don't know. But knowing the man who gave it to me it was likely cheap and nasty.'