Chapter Thirteen

Wandering back into the kitchen, Anna's excellent mood had completely deflated. The incredible highs that Mathias had sent her to were not enough to stop her spiralling. Something he noted the moment she sat down beside him.

'Is everything all right?' he murmured, his hand finding her thigh under the table.

'Krause,' she managed, noticing that her parents were also looking at her. 'Lets talk about it later.'

Mathias couldn't restrain himself. 'If that fool has upset you, I will sort it...'

'Who's upset you?' asked Elli.

The table was silent, everyone staring at Anna.

Sighing, Anna stirred her coffee repeatedly with her spoon. 'Alby said Krause took offence to your article. He might pull me from the dig.'

Mathias' grip on her tightened. 'That piece of...'

'He's being ridiculous!' cut across Josef, rereading the article with a quick scan of his eyes. 'It mentions him and the dig. Surely any publicity is good publicity?'

'He does have quite the ego,' sighed Rachel. 'He'd likely want more of his accolades listed.'

Snorting, Mathias placed his hand on Anna's neck. 'The article wasn't about him. It was about Anna. I'll see to it he understands that.'

'No,' said anna quickly, looking back at him. 'Mathias, please. We both know why he's this annoyed.'

'Your personal life is not his business,' Mathias said firmly, his thumb smoothing over her skin. 'That letch cannot hold it over your head like this, just because he's jealous.'

'Jealous?' Josef said, his tone sharp. 'Anna, has he said something to you?'

'No,' Anna said quietly, avoiding her father's gaze.

'He was overtly staring at her all of last night,' said Mathias. 'It was disgusting.'

'Is this the old man you work with mama?' Elli asked.

'Yes,' said Rachel, her tone clipped. She seemed to be in an internal dilemma, locked in her thoughts.

Josef huffed. 'Regardless of his motivations, he doesn't get a say in your personal life, Anna. You need to reiterate that to him.'

'I meeting him on Tuesday, but perhaps that's not soon enough?'

'It might be an idea to go and see him,' said Josef. 'Lay the matter to rest in person.'

'I don't think you should see him alone,' Mathias said.

Anna glanced at him. 'Mathias we talked about this...'

'Regardless of my abject hatred of him, don't you think it would be best to have someone with you to fight your corner?'

This wasn't regardless of anything. He simply didn't like Anna alone with any man. And she knew that.

Elli was staring at her. When she caught her elder sister's eyes, she shrugged. She was too young to understand.

'It wouldn't be professional,' Anna said. 'Maybe I'll try to see him tomorrow.'

'Then I'll take you and pick you up,' said Mathias. He wasn't going to be swayed, Anna could tell.

'I'm sure Anna can handle it alone,' said Rachel. 'Besides, I'm only down the hallway.'

Mathias' body tensed further. 'This is about Anna's safety.'

'Safety?' scoffed Rachel. 'Don't be ridiculous. He might be a silly old man but he's not going to hurt her.'